Copperbands and coral

Cubbies

I know a copperband is a "with caution" fish for reefs. I'm just wondering for those with experience with them, what would you say the chance of it nipping at coral would be. I would be feeding twice a day. I know they can be difficult to get eating but I would really try and get one that is already eating. I have some Aiptasia I would like to get rid off before it spreads. I know it's not 100% they will eat it but I would like to give one a try. Just would like some opinions

My Copperband has not touched clams, SPS, lps, softies, aptasia, or my RBTA. In fact since it has consumed every single feather duster and other worm it could find it will ONLY eat selcon and garlic soaked Spirulina brine and hikari mysis. It does nibble at some pieces of rods food as well. I am told that the fact that this one is Australian caught has played into its hardiness and Old Town never was able to get the specimen I received from the Philippines to eat prepared foods. I would not hesitate to put it in any tank 4' or larger. It does like to cruise though so not a good cube fish.

Last edited:
So far mine has not touched a coral, or a nem, including aptasia. It's tearing up the tube worms. It seems to be eating mysis and Rods but not out of the water column yet. It swims around excitedly when the other fish do, but it doesn't seem to know what to do. After things settle down he looks like he's getting stuff off of rocks and the substrate.

Very active. Uses all of the 180. Got chased, but not nipped by about everybody for a couple of days. Now doesn't have any issues except with the clowns when they have eggs.

My copperband is eating mysis like crazy and picks at Rod's food, but leaves corals alone. I bought him for aiptasia control but he never seemed interested. I mostly have zoos and brains in the tank right now. I'm going to be putting some chalice frags in there, I hope he ignores them as well. I do feed him daily.

My copperband was a model citizen and then one day started eating clams.

Other then that it was great against aiptasia (while it was still alive.)

I have two in my tank, all I see them do is trying to find stuff on the LR, never even bothered by what else is in the tank.

I had one that was a model citizen. Took care of my aiptasia problem, ate mysis and picked at rods as well. Was doing great for 6 months and one day it didn't eat and 2 days later found it dead :( miss that fish. I plan to get another one soon. I would recommend a mature tank. I waited a year before getting one and was also lucky that this one started accepting frozen foods right away.

Selling my Copperband tomorrow due to clam nipping. I guess I spoke too soon. Too bad, my favorite fish :(

I just got a new Copperband at a local shop last week ... it's been sucking up mysis shrimp like crazy!

Sorry to hear about the clam nipping but mine started out of the blue also and I didn't think too much of it and then one night my clam was nothing but the shell.

I've had two. The first one divoured aptasia, as does the second one. The first one nipped at the mantle on my large Squamosa and killed it :-( Can't say about the second one, we don't have any clams at this time. No problem with SPS from either CBB.

Last edited:
I have always heard and read online that's it's hit or miss with this, basically will just have to give it a try and see if it nips the corals, only other thing I can think of is make sure you purchase a healthy one, DD would probably be a smart move on this one as they can be difficult to acclimate and get eating. Only had one several years back in a fowlr but I was able to get him to eat and had him for a few years but died in like 2 years from unknown causes, was fine one day and the next found him under a rock? Guessing the crabs dragged him there? Regardless I think it's worth a shot but just be ready to remove him and have a home for him incase he munches on the corals :)

Back