Coral banded shrimp hunting pods

remus

was wondering whether coral banded shrimp will hunt pods.i trying to get pods population up, i have a refugium and thinking of adding mandrian. Been trying increase my pods but I notice every night my shrimp is hunting things on the rock. Not sure whether it eating pods or what but it definitely eating something as once it pick up something it will eat it. It is a role model as in he doesn't care about anything in the tank or chase anything. The only time I see it eating one fish i presume it died as I never once saw it attack anything. So just wondering is it huntjng pods. BTW I have tons of bristle worm as well but I occasionally saw it eating them.

Pods are a little too small for a CBS to be fumbling around with IMO. It might pick one off here and there, but definitely not enough to put a significant dent in your pod population. FWIW when I had mine it was more of a pet than a janitor. When I fed the tank I tried to make sure the shrimp would get a few flakes or pellets, maybe snag a live black worm etc.

They eat them when they catch them but a single shrimp or a pair should not be able to make a dent in a healthy pod population.
Also, pods are not their primary food source. They will mostly go after food leftovers from the fish, catch bristle worms and even might pick parasites and dead tissue of larger fish that are seeking their help.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

on the other hand, a CBS has a rep for going after slow-moving fish. Not a good match with a mandarin or scooter.

on the other hand, a CBS has a rep for going after slow-moving fish. Not a good match with a mandarin or scooter.

That depends on the species of the shrimps. The smaller more colorful ones don't do anything to fish and usually hide during the day.
Even with the most common Stenopus hispidus I have never seen a fish harmed. What they do is chase fish away that get too close or too cheeky. I also kept them with mandarins before without any issues.

Good to know. Thanks ThRoewer. I generally mistrust things with significant claws.

Keep in mind that these shrimps are cleaner shrimp for rather big fish. The removal of certain parasites (isopods come to mind) may require more force to remove.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back