Coral Banded Shrimp Randomly Died - Why?

XStroX

Hi All. Hoping for some help here. My 75 gallon tank has been cycled for 7 weeks now. I added a CBS on 9/28. He has molt 3 times since with the last time being 5 days ago. After the last molt he has been hanging upside down in his cave with very little activity and then this morning he was dead.

I introduced a blue reef chromi (2") and a flame angle (1-1.5") 3 days ago but have no idea why this would have impacted the CBS.

My water parameters from LFS testing 4 days ago are: Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates = 0. Salinity 1.024, Phosphates = 0, Alkalinity = 10 and pH = 8.0. I keep the temp at 80degF. These parameters have remained fairly constant with alkalinity varying between 8 and 10 because I'm using the buffer to keep it above 8.

Any idea what could have suddenly killed a CBS that seemed perfectly healthy just days ago since it molted? I'm hoping none of my other fish will be impacted.

Thanks!

Was he eating?
Mine goes crazy chasing food at feeding time.
Doesn't stop until he grabs some food, then retreats to his cave.

Before the last molt was all over the place when mysis or flakes were in the water but after the last molt 5 days ago almost no interest and very little movement even when food in the water.

This stuff happens. Molting is a pretty stressfull and problems can occur. I've the same thing happen to shrimp that were in tanks for a long time. One note is I usually see Coral Banded Shrimp molt monthly, yours seems to have molted three times in very quick succession.

The first was within days of getting him. The 2nd was about 3 weeks later and the 3rd was 3-4 weeks after that. So not too far from monthly. I took it as a good sign that my water quality must be doing good and he was getting enough food. Then he died...

Should I be worried about getting a cleaner shrimp as a replacement tomorrow? I currently have nothing in my CUC except snails because I was worried the CBS would eat everything else.

The first was within days of getting him. The 2nd was about 3 weeks later and the 3rd was 3-4 weeks after that. So not too far from monthly. I took it as a good sign that my water quality must be doing good and he was getting enough food. Then he died...

Should I be worried about getting a cleaner shrimp as a replacement tomorrow? I currently have nothing in my CUC except snails because I was worried the CBS would eat everything else.

I've had my CBS for four months with peppermint shrimp, hermit crabs, a huge brittle star, and a pistol shrimp, and he hasn't hurt anybody.

Well my CBS had already killed my fire fish (watched it happen) and had harassed my sleeping one spot fox face on multiple occasions. I spent weeks trying to get it out and finally gave up. Then a week after giving up it dies. Strange.

Mainly just want to make sure I shouldn't be worried about putting a $30 cleaner shrimp in the tank now.

Hi All. Hoping for some help here. My 75 gallon tank has been cycled for 7 weeks now. I added a CBS on 9/28. He has molt 3 times since with the last time being 5 days ago. After the last molt he has been hanging upside down in his cave with very little activity and then this morning he was dead.

I introduced a blue reef chromi (2") and a flame angle (1-1.5") 3 days ago but have no idea why this would have impacted the CBS.

My water parameters from LFS testing 4 days ago are: Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates = 0. Salinity 1.024, Phosphates = 0, Alkalinity = 10 and pH = 8.0. I keep the temp at 80degF. These parameters have remained fairly constant with alkalinity varying between 8 and 10 because I'm using the buffer to keep it above 8.

Any idea what could have suddenly killed a CBS that seemed perfectly healthy just days ago since it molted? I'm hoping none of my other fish will be impacted.

Thanks!

could be the flame, they are either good or bad depending on your luck and tank, usually introduced last, but if you want, you could easily have 2-3 cleaner shrimp and 1 fire shrimp in that size tank depending on your rock work

he may be still alive though...my CBS looked dead but it turned out it was just a molt and he came prancing out several days later from a cave... The molt looked exactly like the real shrimp

Definitely not still alive. I already pulled his molt out of the tank and then is actual body. Going to pick up a cleaner shrimp tomorrow. Man are they expensive!!

Back