Coral Beauty Hiding and Won't Eat

Sundog101

I know there's probably a million of these threads but...yeah. I added a coral beauty to my 93 cube on Tuesday. Since then he's stayed in the same cave and hasn't eaten. I've tried mysis, algae, shrimp, and white worms (would like to try black worms but I'm out). Ive tried the shrimp and algae on a rock. I made a worm feeder that gets the worms right to him. No luck:worried: I'm not feeling too hopeful. Im soaking some pellets in garlic now, however I've never had much luck with garlic. Does anyone have any advice?

Tank Params good
Tank mates: clownfish and starry blenny (not being harassed)
Everything else in the tank is fine
Coral Beauty came from divers den
No I did not QT:eek2: (I try to keep my fish I pretty good shape)
No signs of ich or velvet

mav3rick478

Premium Member
If he's picking on the rocks sooner or later he should come around. Mine took a couple of weeks to start eating, now he's a pig!

Sundog101

Unfortunately the tank is only a couple months old and the rocks don't have much growth on them. No luck with the pellets either. I might get some live brine shrimp and see if he goes after that.

mav3rick478

Premium Member
Try the Hikari Seaweed Extreme pellets. Just drop one or two every couple days. Hopefully he starts eating but it's still early.

Sundog101

Well, he's backed himself into a cave and I haven't really been able to get a good look at him, but while watching to see if he would come out to eat I noticed a white area around his mouth and a small white growth on a pectoral fin. This isn't ich, I'm guessing it would be lymph or a fungal infection. It would be tough to get him out of the tank to QT, but I didn't think there was much you could do for lymph or fungal infections?

Brieninsac

Did you see him eat before purchase and did you quarantine it before adding to DT?

No, he wasn't fed in the store but was active and looked good. I did TTM when he was quarantined. Once he was put into my DT he didn't seem so skittish. I think it's the confined bare tank they don't like.

Sundog101

For me, I bought mine online so I didn't see him eat. I did not QT. I made the decision to move him to a QT tank to treat the fungus. I really didn't want to but the infection seemed to be spreading pretty quickly around the mouth and fins. He's been in QT for 3 days now and still hasn't eaten anything. Things don't look good, I don't think he going to make it :(

125mph

I had a potter's angel from DD that just never ate and eventually died in 3 weeks. Actually he ate once but then he spit it back out.. strange.. tried everything.

The description from DD said he was "eating mysis very nicely". Some fish may never turn around.

I got a nice Regal angel from DD and he ate the very first day. Still alive and one of my favorites!

Sundog101

I'm not sure if he's eating yet. I made a whiteworm feeder thing, which he may be eating. Thanks for the tips.
His left pectoral fin isn't working. He's been swimming strangely and laying in the sand for the past few days now. I didn't think he would make it overnight once that started, but he's still swimming (or trying to). What I'm hoping is that the infection is external on his fin and hasn't spread internally. I'm treating with maracyn plus and I'm on day 4. (I wasn't sure about the maracyn with fungus since an antibiotic but lfs recommended it.).

NYCBOB

What was he eating when u were doing the ttm? The fish I suspect was sick to begin with. Angels need a matured tank with plenty of liverocks to thrive. Mine could pick on rocks all day and get fat.