Coral beauty tank size

velvetelvis

I keep hearing conflicting things about tank sizes for coral beauties. I messaged Biota, whose CBs I'm looking at, and they say that 1-3 (added as babies) would be fine in my tank. The owner of my LFS, who's very honest and won't hesitate to tell people no if she thinks something won't work, thinks a CB would be fine in my tank. Other sources say at least 30 gallons. Others say 70.

How big do these guys typically get in captivity?

For the record, my tank is 50G, 24" x 24" x 20". Lots of rockwork. The angel(s) would be the only fish in the tank.

I'd love an angelfish, but I'm sticking to captive-bred livestock, so that rules out any other species like cherubs or flamebacks.

I keep a Biota Bonsai Coral Beauty in my 40 breeder which I think is ideal for its size; it seems to have stopped growing in under three inches, I think it’s closer to 2.5 inches but I never measured.

For a regular sized CB I think 50g might work with appropriate rockwork. I would only do one, just to stay on the safe side.

I can't speak to the captive-bred ones...

A full-grown coral beauty will be somewhere in the 3-3.5" TL. A large specimen maybe a 1/4 to 1/2" longer.

Personally, i don't like the 2' x 2' footprint for a coral beauty. 3' x 2' would be much better, with a standard 75 gallon being closer to ideal.

I think one would be fine. Mine is in a 75 with several other fish. I kept a cherub in a 30 with an ocellaris clown and flame hawk and they seemed happy that way for over 7 years. A cherub is smaller, but not that much.

Dwarf angels like to be able to weave in and out of the rockwork, not just cruise from end to end of the tank in a straight line. So make the rockwork interesting for it.

Back