Coral bleached out

Ronny#66

The gold colored coral to the right . Is the way the same species at left top osed to look. All paramters good. Any idea whats wrong everythin else in tank ok.

100_5793.jpg

spleify

Premium Member
What type of lighting is it under? Did you try moving it down in the tank to see if any of the color came back?

Ronny#66

slowly

slowly

It started slowly the one right aside of it is same coral is a frag it's doing fine. Didn't move it other one right aside of it looks well. lighting 140 watt compact Tank is fine except for this one coral.

Ronny

Shard

Possibly a parasite or an infection. Have you considered doing iodine dips to see if it stops? Have you recently moved it up in the tank? You could be burning it with to much light. Corals can bleach if the temperature rises to high. Are you monitoring the high/low values for your temperature?

Ronny#66

Temps all same parameter all good coral has been where it is next to well one over a year. all other soft corals mushrooms all doing good . So what do you think ?

Ronny

Ronny#66

Need some answers to this right away White fleshy part still there some polyps left on it same species right aside of it doing fine .

Ronny

Shard

Need some answers to this right away White fleshy part still there some polyps left on it same species right aside of it doing fine .

Ronny

either frag off what is left that is good, or iodine dip it and hope that saves it.
Probably a parasite, you need to treat or frag immediately.

chrlesdikkenson

Did you treat the water you added to the tank to remove chlorine and chloramine? If you didn't the chlorine you added to the tank may have killed the bacteria who were trying to start the filter. Or the ammonia in the chloramine could be more than your new bacteria colony can handle.

Ronny#66

How do you iodine dip? How much iodine in the dip ect.Need exact directions as to how to do this. i can remove whole rock this coral is atatched to from tank.

Ronny

z34fiend

put the coral in a small container with just enogh water to cover it. add 2 drops pf lugols solution ( iodide) for about 3 minutes and put it back in the tank

Shard

Directions on my Kent Marine Iodine (Lugol's) says 40 drops per gallon for 10-15 minutes. Has worked well for me. I should state this is for a different container. DO NOT do this in your setup, because that amount of iodine for long term will cause damage.

Ronny#66

I know you can use regular bakeing soda for ph regulation . Can you use regular iodine out of retail grocery store ? Just so expensive to purchase anything out of LFS .

Ronny

Ronny#66

By the way I touched The coral in ? here and white on the coral just flaked off into water like its disintigrateing . I know thats not spelled right. But this specimen is in trouble.

Ronny

El Diablo

Is this pom pom? If so this coral I have found to be impossible to keep myself. If it is just pull this out of your tank and flush it. Start running carbon immediately. Good chance if you have more of this in your tank you will lose it also.

The reason for this was undetermined by me I also checked all of my parameters also with no success.

Also check your phosphates.

Good luck

Ronny#66

I tool the live rock to coral was atatched to to LFS they said it was dying i scraped the coral the best I could off the rock. it did have an odor to it not like spoiled sea critters but an odor.

Ronny