Coral bleaching.....Help

b_s_c1

I am having a problem with my sps bleaching and can't figure out what the problem is. I have a good idea but am not for sure and could use a little guidance. I have a 36x30x21 rimless aquarium that I set up at the beginning of the year. I have a DIY CREE fixture containing 54 3watt led's with 40 degree optics hanging 10 inches over the tank. The DT contains about 60lb of lr, 20 lb of sand, yellow tang, blue hippo tang, and a PJ cardinal, a couple of shrimp, a few crabs and a few snails and one MP40 . I will not list all the coral but it is mostly SPS with a few acans on the bottom.

Sump is a 30 gal sump with a filter sock, about 10 lb of rock rubble, a NAC6, and a mag 12 return pump. 250ml of ecobak pellets in a next reef reactor.

I just ran all my test and they are where they have always been for the past several months.

API Test
nitrate-0
Cal.- 460
DKH-10
Salfiret
Mag-1140
Hanna
Phosphate-0

This tank had an extremely fast cycle and I have never had an algae breakout since. I only have to clean the glass every week to week and a half. I feed 4 cubes of San Francisco Bay variety pack a week and feed pellets and flakes on the days I do not feed the cubes. I also feed reefbugs and reef chili three to four times a week. Over the past month I have increased feeding to this routine to try to color up the coral and have not noticed any effect.

My lighting ramp the blues up at 2pm and are 100% at 3pm, at three the whites come on and ramp up to 80% at four. At 9pm the whites ramp down until off and the at 10 the blues start to ramp down.

Nutrients and lights are my main focal points to cure the bleaching. The have increased the feeding and have not seen any positive color change although the frags seem to be growing faster. When I introduced the coral I had the lights set to the schedule above and changed the placement of the coral to acclimate them. When I notice the color fade I reduced the lighting power to 40% whites and 60% blue for a couple of months and I never noticed a change. Since then I started to slowly ramp up the power every week until I was back to the current setting.

What do I need to do to get my coral to color up? At first I thought it was the light but after reducing it I never seen a change. I am leaning to a lack of nutrients but with as much as I feed I do not want to keep dumping food into the tank to bring up the levels.

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to make sure I covered everything.

I forgot to add that the frags were added in May and I transfered a few from my old tank after the cycle. Everything in the tank is bleached except for the acans.

My first guess is the lights. LED's can be tricky. When do the white lights get turned on? From your post it seems that they come on at 3pm and start to go down at 9pm. If that is the case I would say they are not getting enough light. Not so much intensity, just longer duration. My MH come on at 9AM and go off at 7PM. My blue LED's and T5 actinics come on at 6AM and go off at 10pm. Also your spectrum could be wrong. Every tank is different of course but, I would start with lights.....

My first guess is the lights. LED's can be tricky. When do the white lights get turned on? From your post it seems that they come on at 3pm and start to go down at 9pm. If that is the case I would say they are not getting enough light. Not so much intensity, just longer duration. My MH come on at 9AM and go off at 7PM. My blue LED's and T5 actinics come on at 6AM and go off at 10pm. Also your spectrum could be wrong. Every tank is different of course but, I would start with lights.....

That is correct. The lights are at the max setting for 6 hours. So you think extending that to 8 or 10 hours will help?

Have you checked your PAR levels?

No I have not. I thought about buying a sensor but wanted to make sure it would be worth the cost. Plus I want to get a general consensus on the problem. If people on RC think it is worth checking the par to correct the problem then I will order one. I just have a problem spending the money and then packing it up. I really dont see a need for it once I know the par of my fixture.

Essential tool but expensive...I AGREE 100%! At the same time, you have said it.... Once you know where you stand with your PAR, you probably won't need it anymore (or that much). I check PAR levels everytime I put a new coral in... Saves me at times the guessing on where to properly place my coral.

Now, maybe 100% might be too much (maybe)... but the only way of knowing is with those levels. You might be burning the coral and that's why they are bleaching. How to know if you got to lower the %age or raise the LED's?

I just don't go by the watts per gallon rule anymore.

Hope you find out soon..Keep us posted! :thumbsup:

That is three people suggesting the lighting. Does anyone think it could be a nutrient problem

I would think that they would brown out before they would bleach if you had a nutrient problem. JMO. I'm still new to the sps game myself.

Last edited:
I would think that they would brown out before they would bleach if you had a nutrient problem. JMO. I'm still new to the sps game myself.

+1....

Also, SPS don't color up right away nor heal up very fast (when they are bleached). It could, and most likely, will take them months (not a month or two...most of the time longer)to color back up.

The total time you're running your lights might not be enough... BUT, having the lights at only 10" from surface or running them at 100% or 80% might be too high... too intense for the corals (might).

+1....

Also, SPS don't color up right away nor heal up very fast (when they are bleached). It could, and most likely, will take them months (not a month or two...most of the time longer)to color back up.

The total time you're running your lights might not be enough... BUT, having the lights at only 10" from surface or running them at 100% or 80% might be too high... too intense for the corals (might).

I understand it takes time to heal but I thought I would have seen atleast a slight improvement.

I am searching and trying to find a par meter so I can get it on the way. I know without the readings anything I will do will be a shot in the dark but does anyone have a suggestion on what I should try that might help my coral until I get the meter in. Such as increase photo period, decrease intensity, ect...

I understand it takes time to heal but I thought I would have seen atleast a slight improvement.

Sometimes, even to see some improvement, might take a while. Change your light schedule (8-10 hours complete cycle)and lower the percentage of spectrum (maybe to 60% or so). Lay back, keep feeding and dosing your tank and hopefully in the next couple of weeks you should see some kind of improvement. Check if there's a local reefing club in your area...someone might have a PAR meter and might be able to lend you a hand with your readings.

Sometimes, even to see some improvement, might take a while. Change your light schedule (8-10 hours complete cycle)and lower the percentage of spectrum (maybe to 60% or so). Lay back, keep feeding and dosing your tank and hopefully in the next couple of weeks you should see some kind of improvement. Check if there's a local reefing club in your area...someone might have a PAR meter and might be able to lend you a hand with your readings.

Thanks for the info. The nearest LFS is a 2 hour drive from where I live and there is no local club so I am will have to purchase a par sensor. Only problem is I do not see anything mentioned about the sensor being waterproof. That is why I am at a stand still for now.

Just thought I would give a quick update. Since my last post I decreased my intensity to whites 60% and blues 90% and increased the photo period to 10 hours at this intensity plus one hour for both the ramp up and down. My par sensor came in today. I did not have much time to play with it before I had to leave but I was able to take a few measurements. At the surface I was reading around 1200 and 150-300 on the sand bed. Most of the SPS are in the 400-600 range. I decreased the whites to 45% but was not able to get a measurment before I had to leave.

Any suggestions on the next steps to take so I can get the color back in my coral. Hopefully I will have more time in the next day or so to give a good par measurement for each coral.

Just thought I would give a quick update. Since my last post I decreased my intensity to whites 60% and blues 90% and increased the photo period to 10 hours at this intensity plus one hour for both the ramp up and down. My par sensor came in today. I did not have much time to play with it before I had to leave but I was able to take a few measurements. At the surface I was reading around 1200 and 150-300 on the sand bed. Most of the SPS are in the 400-600 range. I decreased the whites to 45% but was not able to get a measurment before I had to leave.

Any suggestions on the next steps to take so I can get the color back in my coral. Hopefully I will have more time in the next day or so to give a good par measurement for each coral.

I think you're on the right track now. Just let them be for now. Your PAR readings are within range for the SPS so I wouldn't play with them a whole lot.

Give them a few weeks and you should start seeing a change!

Keep us posted!

BSC 1, can you please provide pictures of the bleaching corals? All of the suggestions so far are great but I think to truly diagnose the issue it is always best to see the problem at hand. Your numbers all appear great. Nutrient problems like build up of Po4 and or No3 would cause tissue recession in the form of STN or RTN but not bleaching in my experience. As others have said, you would see a browning out of the coral instead as well as nuisance algae growth. Same with lighting deficiencies, the corals wold brown but thrive under less than ideal lighting although I have no experience with led's. Too much light and for too long a duration daily would cause bleaching of the coral tissue as well as too high a level of Mg but your Mg appears fine as well. Anyway, pics please and thanks. Good luck!

Back