Coral Coloration

ryancaudill

I recently bought this open brain from a LFS. Its color is amazing bright yellow. I got lazy so just took the picture with the lights out. So the picture does not do it justice with MH and actinics on.

13359181.jpg

My question comes from whether this color is natural. After I bought it I remember from 6 months to a year ago seeing some leathers with this unusually bright yellow color. Because I had never seen this color I asked a question about the unusual color. He stated that it had been dyed. When I asked if this is permanent he said no and that it would last up to 2 years.

After a couple of nights sleep this prior conversation popped into my head. I dont know why I didn't think about it in the store. It is now bothering me because if this open brain has been dyed I feel like I have something fake in my tank even though it is alive. I would almost be like buying a fake piece of live rock.

my fiancee bought a flowerpot that was died bright yellow, and it seems to be doing better now that the yellow is wearing off in some places. its kinda funny that the flowerpot looks a lot better than when she bought it.

If it was dyed I am wondering what the natural color is. How long did it take for the flowerpot's tissue to overturn and replace it with naturally colored tissue?

well its been in the tank a month and a half and only about 5% of the polyps are back to the red color. when the polyp are retracted at night the whole thing is still yellow. the red polyps seems to extend a half in farther than the dyed ones

Red and yellow aren't a bad color combination. So it should be approximately 1 years until all the color fades. Assuming growth increases as it settles in.

I also feel obligated to throw in a GO GATORS!.

Are there any other experiences with purchasing dyed corals or does everyone else stay away from them. From what I have seen in my LFS's they dont seem to be really common.

Back