Coral help...

Kelley

Will xenia and kenya tree get along, or should I not keep them close? right at the moment, they are close and there seems to be no problem, but I just added the xenia in a little while ago. Any help would be great, thanks!

As good practice, I don't like putting two different species of corals too close to each other. There are all kinds of ways corals do battle.

1. physical stinging
2. digesting it's neighbor
3. chemical warfare
4. outgrowing/overgrowing the competitor

Xenias can move and are moderately aggressive. They compete using their fast growth mostly. They'll also use chemical warfare.

Kenya Trees are also moderately aggressive. They grow slower than Xenias do but they grow pretty fast as well. Kenya Trees can sting but don't pack a punch. It prefers to use chemical warfare and outgrow/overgrow it's competitors.

I don't think there's cause for worry if you don't see any adverse reactions in either coral. Like I said Xenias can "move".

yeah, I might move them away from each other, but at the moment, things seem ok. need a frag of kenya?

I ended up moving the xenia, but it actually looked better next to the xenia then it does now. Maybe when I get home from work tonight it will have perked up.

Back