Coral ID

BeanMachine

Whatsup Everyone,

Anyone know what these are?

I wanna say this one is a "scroll coral" but not sure.

P8050333.jpg

This one, maybe a favia of some kind? It's a really cool dark green with some light patches in person. Hard to get in good on the pic.

P8050332.jpg

P8050338.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Cody

The first one is a turbinaria and the second one looks kind of like a pavona but a bit different. It is definitely not a favia. Favias have very geometrically distinct polyps. It could be some kind of mycedium or pectinia or echinopora or echinophyllia. It is a bit hard to tell from that pic because I can't see the polyps well. But it is in that general area. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I have been away from the hobby for a bit. Haha.

By the way are those your corals? And if so, you just bought them without knowing what they were? Haha I am not ragging on you, I just think it's funny. Before I get new corals I usually do a ton of research but that's just because I am really interested in the biology behind the corals.

first one/turbinaria

the second one has a great looking growth pattern and looks like a branching mycedium ....IMO good eye picking that one out.....Hope it colors up all neon for you....

Thanks guys.

Cocoa- No offense taken. I was with my buddy when he purchased the turbinaria (#1) about two years ago, but I can't honestly remember we he told us. The mycedium (#2) I bought for his tank for $30 (one of their sales) at Jeff's in Orange about a year and a half ago. I just loved the colors, it reminded me of a a scary alien hand. The greens in person are awesome, my camera skills are terrible. He is breaking down his tank, so I got first dibs on some freebies before he sells the others off.

Captain- Thanks! I went in for a gift certifcate and came out with that! I thought it was so awesome looking! Was that a good deal?

Cody

If you like it, then i'd say of course it's a heck of a deal. Rule of thumb for me is, if I like it and I think it's cool or has great colors and it's going in my tank, who cares what others think... Sometimes those turn into the real gems..... Most of the time people go where's that from or what's that peice......

At any rate Cody looks cool to me...=~)

Back