Coral ID

Ryan95i4

My gf bought this coral at the LFS. They called it a wallflower coral, but I cant find anything under that name online. Maybe Im just not looking hard enough.

wallflower.jpg

Sorry for the cellphone pic :eek:

its definitely a euphyilla species. I have heard people call frogspawns and hammers octo wall corals before.

Re: Re: Coral ID

Re: Re: Coral ID

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14190220#post14190220 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by notabun
BTW, not bad for a cellphone cam.

I actually got a better pic with the voyager than I could with my gf's point and shoot, lol

eventually we will get a decent camera

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14190236#post14190236 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DevilBoy
its definitely a euphyilla species. I have heard people call frogspawns and hammers octo wall corals before.

Interesting....its definitely unlike any hammer or frogspawn we have seen before, havent seen any others like this come into either of the two LFS. Each extension is more balloon like instead of tentacle like and each one has many spots on it instead of just one or two on the ends.

Do you like my use of highly technical scientific terms? lol

They have it labeled wrong though... its not Divisa . I'm really having a hard time finding more pics of that variety!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14190355#post14190355 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by notabun
Can't find the proper scientific name but ya, its a variant of Euphyllia:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/photos/blpiccoraljmmeuserfrogspawn.htm

Must be on the rare side because not many pics. Wish I could get a frag of it.

Its not rare it is either Euphyllia Divsa or Euphyllia paradivisa the common name is frogspawns. With out knowing about the skeleton you can not tell which...

Dave

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14190921#post14190921 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by notabun
If it's not rare (that variety) then show me where I can buy one please.

I do not know what you mean by variety.. There are two frogspawns... They are the two species I listed above.. They are either branching or vase type , Sometimes there can be a hybrid between Euphyllia sp... Tentacle length width is affected by flow and lighting.. I would guess that on is under lower flow because of how the tentacles are laying and swollen but it could be because it is not fully acclimated yet.. They are very aggressive coral too, they will put out very long sweepers and need lots of room. They are relatively easy to care for.. It was one of my first corals 20 years ago. Keeping your calcium levels and alk. up will help or this coral can suffer since it is a stony coral.. They also do well under medium to low levels of light... They also like medium flow, high flow can tear them and they will usually just stay contracted.

If you want to learn more about it I believe I did a coral of the week on it under the archives.

Frog spawns are available at pretty much any lfs. Probably not allot of online vendor’s carrying them because they deal mainly in high end corals and this is not a expensive coral. It is one of my favorite’s... And the one in the thread starter’s pic is looking really healthy,

Dave

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14191027#post14191027 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by notabun
That is some severe swelling then. I thought the puffed appearance meant it was a different variety.

The tentacles can be different from hour to hour, from completely contracted to completely stretched out. Lower flow seems to make them stretch out less but to much flow makes them stay hidden. Also aggressiveness can make the stretch out farther and is seems like this happens allot at night too... They can have some of the longest sweepers out there. The one by the tread starter may still be aclimating too and cause it to look like that.

The colors can be anywhere from pink to green, I think this has more to do with lighting though than anything. But pigments can be different in the same species.

Dave

That coral cost my girlfriend about $100 at the LFS. I don't believe that is the case with most online vendors.... you can buy all sorts of coral from online people... they don't just do high end stuff... but this wasn't cheap....

Hey, im back, that was my gf chimming in there and pretending to be me, lol.

As far as the frogspawn debate, we have two other frogspawns and this is definitely not anything like them. The tentacles always appear balloonish, regardless of location in the tank -- the balloonish tentacles and random spots is what drew my gf to this guy after already having two other frogspawns (it looked like this in the LFS as well). The other frogspawns we have were more like the usual ones we see online (more tentacle like with just 1 or 2 spots on the ends).

This guy swell as the come out more, but they always have a round, bubble like look, they just get larger as the coral comes out more. That and the spots all over each extension made it seem much different than the frogspawn we have seen in the LFS and online, hence why I decided to ask RC :)

FWIW, one of the LFS did have one that looked like ours, excpet white instead of green, like the picture notabun linked, in their personal tank. It had been in the tank for a long time and still had the round, balloon like extensions. That made me think it was some odd frogspawn morph or different variety.

I'll try to remember to get a picture of it night when it tucks in so you can see the skeletal system. As to what kind of flow it is in, I still dont know what constitutes high-moderate-low flow, but this coral has as much movement as anything else in the tank, i would considerate it moderate flow. Its been in the tank for at least 2-3 weeks now.

Whatever it is, its a cool one, lol. Thanks for everyones input!

Back