Coral Meltdown

Zosozeppelin

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of an issue going on. January 16th, I woke up and noticed my pulsating xenia had melted. Immediately did a water test and had my pH 7.8, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 60 nitrates. All fish accounted for. Did a water change. A few hours later, my anacropora is bleaching. After the water change, I dosed to raise my pH to 8.0, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates (normal for my tank). I still haven't found a nitrate source unless it was a snail that got caught somewhere and I can't find it. To note, my mag was 1340 and calcium 360, so I dosed calcium only by the recommended amount on the Aquaforest bottle.

Within 48 hours my large branching bird's nest had died. I have angry GSP, Duncans, and cloves. I was told that this was possibility an alkalinity swing and not to dose by pH, but the xenia melted before I ever dosed anything. I did a 10 gallon water change yesterday. The tank is a Planet Aquarium tank with a total volume of 120 gallons.

Currently my parameters are as follows:

Alk- 147.3
Ca dropped to 280
Mag dropped to 1200
Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-10
Phos- 0.25 (which stays chronically elevated in this tank and stays at this level)

I dosed 18.4 mL each of the Seachem Reef Fusion 1 and 2. I will dose mag as well.

What else can I do to prevent loss? I'm devastated. Should I do daily water changes? I was told to wait a week. Thanks for your help.

Back