Coral Project at Hall High School in West Hartford has Officially Started!

BigWaz

Krazy Member
Hi Everybody,
Well, after 7 years of teaching I have reached the ultimate goal of any reef hobbyist. I'm teaching marine science and I have a decent size coral reef aquarium in my classroom. It took grants, a lot of discussions, emails and hours of work but it's here. Students are doing all the work, I'm not paying an electric bill, and I can just look at my fish tank when I'm having a tough day. The system is a 90 gallon display, 40 gallon sump and 20 gallon mangrove tank. It has an APEX system controlling it so I can view the tank's stats anywhere. Students can view them as well. The tank is on YouTube LiveSteam 24/7. Check that out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fB53jtHB7Q
Here's some photos

Stay tuned for a website and documentary of the whole project. In the meantime, I am interested in corals and possibly fish. We also need an anemone of course. We are looking to grow corals so we can frag them overtime and sell/trade them back to you guys and the stores, preventing more corals being pulled from the ocean. We want to grow corals that people would enjoy in their aquarium and want. If anybody would like to donate frags or corals that would be amazing. I also have some funds to purchase frags but I generally don't put out more than $20-$30 at the most. The students have been fundraising for this project so there is some money but not a ton. I am willing to drive around in the central CT area. People are also welcome to come drop off corals and visit the aquarium at Hall High School in West Hartford. It's tough for me to make long drives because then I have to get back to the school and thats a pain. We are running two 250 metal halides on the aquarium.

I am happy to answer any questions about the project, especially if there are other teachers out there wanted to do something like this. Very special shoutout to Keith (argi), Jon, (fitch4) and Scott (swannyson7) for helping with this project. I could not have done it without them!

Thank you!!
- Anthony

Last edited:
Wow awesome. I live on the border of west Hartford and Hartford. I would love to donate some coral and possibly some fish

Great job Waz...the tank and set up looks great! Are you going to put anything in with the mangroves? You could put a small group of shoaling fish in with the mangrove or maybe a pair of bangaii and try breeding them in there!!! Can't wait to see the tanks progress.

Frankyrivera- thank you so much. I'll message you my email and we can arrange something!
Argi- Thanks man, good idea! When the mangroves settle in more we will do that. The kids would love that.
GobyApparatus- That's great! I'll call and stop by during the winter break when I can make the drive. Thank you so much!

Wet Pets in Vernon has been a huge help for this project. Don donated a bunch of corals, fish food and even delivered the animals we ordered to the school. He talked to the kids too and answered questions.

Nice work. Great to have another coral project to work with.
Let me know if you need anything!

Congrats, this is really awesome. I'd love to donate to the project. Perhaps if you update what you already have or maybe make a wish list of livestock you'd like, we can work something out. I don't live far from Hall and work in Farmington on the WH line so easy drop off. Let me know.

Very nice! Love the pump-less mangrove setup with return. Also the placement by the window is a very nice touch. Couple Seahorses would be awesome in their as well as they now have captive bred seahorses that eat frozen mysis (however raising live mysis could be another learning aspect). Low flow refuge and has plenty of vertical stalks to latch their tails too like they do in the sea grass naturally. Keep up the great work, and keep us posted.

Oh cool that's an awesome set up. My teachers in HS weren't nearly this cool haha. Wish I had some coral I could frag I'd donate, sadly not grown out enough yet.

Very cool!!! I graduated from Hall in 1981. Would be glad to donate some frags; nuclear green nephthea and some green Zoas. Don't have much else right now

I have a 50g Rubbermaid tub and some extra Tunze power heads hanging around that you can use... I also just caught a Bicolor Angel you can put in your Mangrove NOT REEF SAFE AT ALL!!!

If your ever around the Northford, wallingford area I have a coupe green, pink and ponape birdsnest, frog skin sps and a green with blue polyp cap I could donate.

T5PO- Yea we'd love a tub and pumps. That will help as we expand over the years. I'm going to pass on the bicolor angelfish because I have an automatic feeder in the tank now that is helping a lot for over the weekends and during breaks but not one in the mangrove tank. I also want to possibly breed fish in there. But thank you for the offer!

Acp- Are you going to the frag farmer's market? I plan on going, maybe we could meet? I will have a 1 week old at that point but hey it's the FFM. Wifey already told me I better be going and she'd hold the fortress. If you aren't going we can meet sometime soon.

If anybody else is plan on going to FFM I plan to be there for coral donations. I plan to volunteer too that day so you'll find me around.

Back