Coral QT setup

Ab129

Hello and Happy New Year to all!
Haven’t been on the forum in quite some time, partially because my system has been running smoothly (knocks wood) and partially because I’ve been busy with life in general lol!
Anyway, I would like to add some coral to my tank (torch, hammer, maybe some zinia) but I’m super paranoid about introducing anything undesirable.
I am considering setting up a 10 gallon qt tank and want to make sure I don’t overlook anything.
My first question is does the tank have to be cycled? Also, do I have to do water changes at all and if so, how frequently?
How long should the qt last?
And any other advice is always appreciated!
Thanks!

Honestly, in my 30+ years in the hobby, I’ve never used a QT tank. I know that’s frowned upon, but I’m being honest.

That said, My understanding is that QT tanks are totally sterile. Meaning no need to cycle, use live rock, ect. Hopefully someone who does QT will chime in.

I keep my coral quarantine cycled but the only reason I have one is one of my LFS tend to have Aiptasia so the coral are usually in it for a few weeks. Other coral I get from online or better LFS I tend to just dip and put it in the tank

"No, you don't need to cycle the QT if you are prepared to do frequent water changes and dose ammonia detoxifiers. There is sort of two approaches to a QT, you either cycle the tank using biological filter media, or you don't cycle the tank and just do large water changes to remove and dilute ammonia."

Back