coral shock from new bulbs ?

bowhunter42

New member
I recently changed all my bulbs , 3 250w and 2 110 vho super actinics , my birdsnests are not opening completely and a large toadstool is only partially open is this " shock " from the new bulbs ? The tank is brighter , if so will these recover when they get adjusted to the light and fully extend polyps again ? How long does it usually take ?
I know you should normally not do this but re wiring a ballast I blew the other bulbs so I didn't really have a choice
Thanks
 

pgammon

Premium Member
Most likely, especially the birdsnest. I shocked the crap out of my corals by changing all bulbs at once, ended up losing a few. You should place three layers of window screen over the tank and remove one a week to acclimate to new bulbs. HTH.
 

bowhunter42

New member
Most likely, especially the birdsnest. I shocked the crap out of my corals by changing all bulbs at once, ended up losing a few. You should place three layers of window screen over the tank and remove one a week to acclimate to new bulbs. HTH.

It has been 1 week allready , I will get some today and try it !
Thanks
 
Top