Coralife 125 Gallon Super Skimmer

kplonsky

I found a used Coralife 125 Gallon Super Skimmer for $100. I was wondering if I should buy this or not? I am building a skimmer so I can hide all of the equipment under the tank.

Thanks!

How old is the skimmer? I ask because the skimmer is probably in good shape its more a question of how much life the pump in it has.

I saw pictures of it, looks great but a little dirty... understandable. I am not sure how old the pump is. I have 2 maxi jet 1200 pumps sitting around. I could upgrade. I was going to see how well one or two worked as a return pump for the sump. Or buy a new one. Still in the planning process.

My personal opinion on those things is they are junk, they are notorious for just randomly overflowing the collection cup, mine did constantly. It was impossible to dial in correctly, completely unpredictable and all around a giant PITA. First chance I got I stripped it of anything of value and kicked the rest to the curb. But that's just my experience, I definitely wouldn't fork over no hundred bucks for it, not even if it was new.

Anything in the $100-150 range better? I have been looking all over CL for a used one since they are expensive. I know I cant skimp on these though.

I don't know that you'll find much in that price range, not a good one. I know everyone hates hearing it, I sure did but buy a good one. It's cheaper to buy a good one once over buying junk then being forced to buy something better. I can't remember what I paid for my aquamaxx but I believe it was around the $300 mark. It's a descent piece of equipment that hasn't given me any troubles whatsoever, to bad I bought the coralife first then a year later had to get the new one.

I don't know a whole lot about skimmers but I've never really heard anything bad about Reef Octopus either. It's definitely the right size for your tank but I know zero about that brand. I'm sure one of the more experienced members will chime in and give some better direction. I do know this though, that Reef Octopus is a whole lot better than the super skimmer.

[the coralife] they're junk, and $100 used for that is a rip off. i hated mine so much and it gave me so many problems, i gave it away for free. the guy i gave it to hated it so much he doesn't even use it anymore.

It'll work ok for you I had one but don't use it as a hang on back use it in-sump only in case of overflows.

I'd get the Octopus if it were me, much better track record and then there's the warranty if something fails with the warranty period.

Back