Coraline growth chemistry?

schminksbro

I have posted a similar question elsewhere but I think it is a chemical question so here it goes.
I have an sps tank with a calcium reactor. I run zeo mag in the reactor along with my calcium media. I am dripping kalk through my top-off. My calcium is rock solid at 420 and my alk is solid at 9dkh. I dose sugar and I run gfo in a reactor. I run carbon in a filter sock. The tank has been up since July 8, 2008. I uses rock from a previous tank. I have had coral line grow in the past. My corals grow but coraline doesn't. Why?

NO3 undetectable
PO4 undetectable
ph 8.3
alk 9dkh
cal 420

Maybe the corals a taking up the calcium before the coralline can get at it. Raise calcium levels to 450-460ppm maybe it will help.

Assuming you have appropriate coralline algae somewhere in the tank for the light levels present, etc, then the things that drive coralline growth, IMO, are medium to high alkalinity, calcium and magnesium, and low (but perhaps not too incredibly low) phosphate and organics. :)

i have a miracle cure for you!!! best f all it comes from fl. the best of the 50 states in my oppinion.

look into florida aqua farms inc. and look for corralline stimulant.

corralie will be growing so fast you will love me and hate me for giving you this info.

CORALLINE STIMULATORâ"žÂ¢
Coralline Stimulator is a complete, soluble, stable source of supplemental trace metals and essential vitamins. Principally formulated for enhancing growth and all colors of corals and other invertebrates. Stimulates zooxanthellae growth (microalgae) found in invertebrate tissues such as corals, anemones and clams. Retards hair algae. Does not alter pH. Use in either fresh or saltwater. Use in conjunction with reef formers of calcium hydroxide and strontium chloride. This exact formula has been used by researchers at Florida Aqua Farms Inc. for over 20 years. Primary nutrients, nitrate and phosphate, are purposely limited in Coralline Stimulator since it is intended for use in aquaria that have established populations of fish and/or invertebrates that are routinely fed. Metabolism of waste products from these animals normally provide sufficient levels of nitrate and phosphate. Coralline Stimulator is enriched with chelated iron, iodide, strontium and other essential trace metals and vitamins including B12, biotin, and thiamin. Formulated and manufactured by FAF.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder why they do not include any magnesium? :D

FWIW, I might add normal to high pH to my list for coralline growth (>8.1, and the higher possibly the better). It often helps calcifying organisms grow faster.

I had a similar situation. I was running three 150 watt pheonix 14k and had no coraline growth. I then switched to two 250 watt 10k Ushios and am seeing coralline grow. Don't know if it really was the bulbs but thats what I changed.

FWIW, I had experienced a slow down in coralline algae growth when using 14,000 K Hamilton's (I believe). I switched to Hamilton 10,000 K bulbs and the coralline growth increased significantly. Now I am going to try the 20,000 K Radium bulbs for other reasons. Hopefully the coralline will contiunue growing with these new bulbs. :)

schminksbro I have the same exact params as you, I run the same bulbs. I too run a reactor for GFO and one for Carbon. I use calcium reactor with zeo mag and I have no coraline growth! great coral growth but no coraline. when i used tropic marine salt on my old tank I noticed it helped allot. i switched to seachem though on my new tank because tropic marin is higher in phosphates than i like. When you find the cure let me know.

I know that when I started my tank, I was using VHOs and the coraline grew like crazy.

Soon after I switched to a cheap T5 fixture and it continued to grow. Then I built my own T5 Fixture using 6 bulbs (overdriven) over my 90 and all my coraline turned white and yellow and chipped off of everything.

I am going on 1.5yrs and I only have coraline in some of the shady areas.

Chirs

One should be careful when increasing the intensisty of their light system. Many organisms should be gradually acclimated to new light levels.

I have a 90 with 6 overdriven T5s and only have coraline on the back wall and in shady spots. I don't think certain types of coraline likes bright lights.

The best coralline growth I have experienced was using PC's 50/50 bulbs. One 10k and one actinic. I used these on a 50 gallon reef and the coralline was plating.

Do you any coraline now? If so this is what I did 1 1/2 week's ago- I took one of my power head's with coraline on it and scraped it off back in the tank, the flow pushed it all over the place and now have it growing in alot of different place's. I'm gonna do this again tomorrow. My lighting is 2 175watt=10,000K and two actinic's. This worked great for me, and think it might be worth a try. Good Luck :beachbum:

Back