CoralLife 48" PC wattages?/Real usefulness

Flightpipe

Sea Turtles Love Me......
My tank is 75g standard size

I have a 48" CoralLife PC fixture (4) bulbs total 65w each, two white 10,000k, two astenic (whatever blue)

I thought I had 260w of light total and from reading a bunch of conflicting info it seem that i have half that because of the blues. I am keeping softies and LPS and a nem. They all seem happy but the nem moves alot so maybe its the light.

Questions

How much useful light do I really have?

Should I change the blues for 50/50 blues for more power?

If I changed them to 50/50 would i able to keep everything happy and maybe even something that needs a lil more light than what I have?(brain)

Last edited:

Toddrtrex

Premium Member
What type of anemone is it? How much flow is in the tank, and what are your water parameters? There could be other reasons for it moving.

But, that amount of light is on the lower side. For reference, for many years I kept BTAs and a Haddoni carpet in my 75 with PCs, 6*65, all were 50/50s.

Flightpipe

well its a GBTA its been sucked up 3 times and has split once so now i have 2 to have nightmares about. Of course I was told that fixture was "Way more than I needed dude" GR. (LFS)

OK flow I have a K4 and K3 and my return flow 31.3X turnover
SG 1.024~5
Amm 0
Nitrites 0
Ph 8.2
Nitrates Near 0
Phosphates 0
Calcium I forget but it was within norms
KH was within norms too

My biggest questions are the three I listed on the first post.

I am sick of worrying about the damn nem I am ready to trade him out for a LTA or something else and I would not mind an open brain or something else like that.

Toddrtrex

Premium Member
First off, an LTA would be a bad idea with those lights, first they require more light, and secondly they are sand bed dwelling anemones, so the lights would be a bigger issue.

I would suggest changing the actinics to 50/50 bulbs, that would give you more usable light.

Flightpipe

So i dont have 260w I have 130w

I should change them out for 50/50 blues so I would have what 195w (3/4 of the amount because of the 50/50's)

what would be my limitations on corals?

DarG

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12907255#post12907255 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flightpipe
So i dont have 260w I have 130w

I should change them out for 50/50 blues so I would have what 195w (3/4 of the amount because of the 50/50's)

what would be my limitations on corals?

Ugghhh ... You have 260 watts if you have a fixture with 4 X 65 watt PC's. What you may not have is the most par that you possibly can get out of the 260 watts of PCs because of the color bulbs you are using but you still have 260 watts.

No offense intended but how on earth did you deduce that somehow you have less wattage than the 260 watts that you have with the 4 X 65 watt bulbs that you are running in your fixture? Im interested in trying to understand your logic here.

Flightpipe

Key word is useful I know the wattage has not changed maybe i should have phrased it differently. The 65w Blue actentic (which i know is needed) doesnt give me the same useful light as the 10,000K

I guess i did kinda make that confusing i should have separated watts from par sorry I hope you get it now.

Bottom line i need to swap to 50/50's to get the most out of the fixture.

DarG

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12907645#post12907645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flightpipe
Now that I reread that I feel dumb................Thanks :)

Like I stated, I meant no offense. sometimes it is just interesting and entertaining to ask what a fellow member is thinking when I read something that is "strange". Yes, I am easily amused at times. Obviously, you get it but I needed to ask on this one :D

Flightpipe

Yea no worries I know I am nuts! Well I will replace the two blues with 50/50's what would be my limitations for corals. I cannot trust my LFS so I am looking to yall for some advise.

Edit*** Just for fun I call my LFS they have 50/50 bulbs for my light but says the only thing it will do is change the color look of my tank and said it will not make any difference to my corals "they will Adapt theres no difference except you preference in the color of light in you tank" again said i could keep just about anything.

Someone that know lights Please tell me what i have and what corals I can support. this should not be this difficult

Last edited:

areze

LFS are often wrong... different spectrums matter to corals. the blue spectrum makes them phosphoresce but does not particularly help them live... if that makes sense to you. in a not very good analogy, you can light up a room with a light bulb, but you cant get a tan.

with a bulb that puts out more par in the right spectrum for the inhabitants, they will likely be healthier.

stanlalee

even with the standard 2 10k and 2 actinic bulbs you can keep just about any LPS or Softies you want and BTA can be kept with that as well. I know pc lighting has lost favor and cant compare to T5 or even a good VHO set up, that being said that lighting is perfectly fine for a non SPS 20" tall, 18" wide aquarium (and quite frankly 48" 4x 60w pc lighting was the status que set up for non SPS standard 75g not that long ago). You cant keep any other desirable anenome besides a bubble tip with that lighting and more light would be preferable of course.

I would suggest switching over to current USA sunpaq bulbs next go round which are far superior to coralife and most other pc bulbs. I mean instantly noticeably brighter and the dual K tubes (10k/6500 for daylight and 420/460nm actinic) doesn't hurt either. the 420/460mn makes the tank look much better than standard 420nm bulbs as well because the 460nm is a much more visable blue. URI are suppose to have new pc bulbs out called PC-R with internal reflectors in the tubes simular to VHO and claim a 30% improvement over standard designed pc bulbs. never seen them in use or know if they are going to cost an arm and a leg though.

doesn't matter what you do with the pc lighting in a year or so after you've kept a few corals its going to be a paper weight as you advance.

DarG

Flightpipe ... It goes like this. The !0K's will provide the most par. The Blues will be next (460nm) and the Actinic 03's (420nm) will provide the least . Thats the basics in regards to single spectrum PC's for the reef. The combo bulbs you can figure out from there. Good advice here as far as the corals are concerned from stanlalee.

Flightpipe

That is exactly what I wanted to have some one tell/explain.

THANK YALL SO MUCH!

I am about due for new bulbs so i will look at doing that.

Thanks again all for your insight and patience.

spleify

Premium Member
just dave, those lights seem pretty neat. They also claim that they have 4500 hours of useful life. That means if you run then 8 hours a day, they will last for over 18 months. I wonder how much they are?
Flightpipe, I don't think what you are asking is a very difficult question to answer at all, and to be honest with you I understood what you were asking in you're original post. I have the same fixture you do, and quit frankly I like it for what I am using it for. IMO, I think you can have a quit successful softie or LPS tank with that same fixture. Again, IMO, I believe you should be able to keep Hammers, frogspawns, zoo, shrooms, blastos, etc, etc, etc. I have had very good luck with all of these and more. I don't have any personal experience with Anemones, as they are not for me, so someone else can answer for that. I personally have a single SPS in there that is about half way down and was strictly a test piece out of a friends system, in the last year that same "sample" has grown 20 times it's original size. Am I suggesting that you can keep an SPS tank successfully and happy with PC lighting, absolutely not. All I am saying, and what has been suggested once in this thread already is that at one point these fixtures and this type of lighting was the "bomb" and was "great". Yes things have changed, and lighting has come a long way. But what hasn't changed is the fact that YES, you can have a successful softie and LPS reef with PC lighting, and the guy who suggested that this fixture will become a "paper weight" obviously has to much money, and should be able to give some to you so you can upgrade you're fixture. But until that happens I say, use what you have, have fun, and work with what you have. I can tell you that the PAR on my fixture, with the same light setup you have is, 150 at the surface and 90 on the sand bed. That is not all that horrible.
On a separate note, I have two tanks, one is this softie-LPS tank, with the PC lighting, and the other is a SPS dominated tank with MH. I love them both for very different reasons.

OK, my rant is over and again all of this is ONLY my opinion, and every person has very different results with many different approaches.

To try and show some of the success I have had hear is an older pic of my tank. I really wish I had a newer one, as everything has grown considerably since these shots.

IMG_1811.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

CopyofIMG_1411.jpg

I hope some of this info helps you out.

Thanks

Spleify

just dave

11th in '11
The PC-R prices are in-line with Current-USA and Coralife bulbs HOWEVER, they are T5 tubes and not T8s like the C-USA and CL bulbs they also have a smaller base ( the pin spacing is the same) so this means that they will not fit snug into bulb clips that were made for T8 tubes ( the clips will need to be bent and or the use of silicone retainers used) and if you have a unit that uses booted end-caps ( commonly found on retro units ) the boot will not provide the water resistance that you may be looking for.

DarG

Good info justdave. I had heard that those bulbs were T5's in PC shape/form. So, same general usable life should apply. The problem I would have is the price. Simply cant get linear T5 performance from the internally reflected PC-R's despite the internal reflector and their being T5's. Im not sure it would make sense to me to pay the price for the bulbs when I knew that the same T5 in linear configuration is more efficient lighting because they are signifigantly more effective with the T5 reflectors that are available. Its almost like the new bulbs are bandaids for those who already have PC fixtures and would like to go to linear T5 but cant afford it. But paying for these bulbs will make it harder for the budget strapped to upgrade to linear T5, again, if thats what they want. For those that really want to keep their PC lighting, atleast they offer an upgrade to standard PC's. Also useful as supplemental lighting for PC/halide combos. Will offer a little more color output and bulb life.

Just my opinion.