corals all die every time

water changes to stop ammonia and nitrates, find die off and remove. I.e. snails, take them out and smell. Should not stink. I would stop peroxide. 15 years, consider vaccum sand or remove and remove detritus. Then look at lights and water params, big 3
My 2 cents

This thread + 10 years just does not add up. My suggestion - start from scratch, and read up on how to do it right from beginning. WC are not just to lower your NO3 and PO4 numbers. Some reefers do indeed do well by not doing WC for prolonged period of time, but you are not one of those reefers, you started a thread called "corals all die every time".

Water params off and way too much lighting (2 x 175 mh 12000k and a 50/50 108 watt led) for a 42 G tank In old terms that's about 12 watts per gallon and enough light to fry most SPS much less softies. I cut that lighting in half.

Without a viable biological filter that can work the nitrogen cycle, there's no point in working any other variable.

Something massive is dead in there and you need to clean house and restart. Rebuild the biofilter bacteria culture. Buy it, if you're in a hurry. But you need to clean your sand, rocks, and everything else that may be a source of ammonia.

Until you have zero ammonia, there's no viable tank - much less corals.

+1

also who told you it's a good idea to go 10yrs without a water change....

10yrs no water change and you're baffled as to why all corals die :hmm3:

Holy crap seriously....I do one least every two weeks

**** your tank down....end the misery....try again when you have the proper knowledge of how to properly run a reef cause this is bad.... Bad bad bad

Without a viable biological filter that can work the nitrogen cycle, there's no point in working any other variable.

Something massive is dead in there and you need to clean house and restart. Rebuild the biofilter bacteria culture. Buy it, if you're in a hurry. But you need to clean your sand, rocks, and everything else that may be a source of ammonia.

**** cleaning I'd buy new sand and new rock....clean the tank three times over with vinaigr and then start....use RO water and only ever use RO.

I agree and what I've said all along. The ammonia and nitrites are needing to be dealt with FIRST! and yes something had a massive die off in that tank. But what would you expect 10 years no wc?

**** cleaning I'd buy new sand and new rock....clean the tank three times over with vinaigr and then start....use RO water and only ever use RO.

You know, I think you might be right with this. Apparently the nitrifying bacteria are non existent at this point.

:fish1: Hi all, Mythicalman22 seems like he is doing a little trolling this morning, as he states, he has been into reef tanks for 15yrs and does not know how to maintain a reef tank, seems a little odd. If your not, and the ammonia is 8, your tank inhabitants would be dead, and if the ammonia is really that high then it's time to start over, with new sand and rock unless you want to cook the rock for a few months and then reuse it. Meantime take everything that is still alive in the tank and put it in a quarantine tank. If he is using anything to treat the ammonia it is probably having an effect on the test kits. :fish1:

wow, troll? Im pretty sure I was asking for opinions. Troll is not an opinion and just a waste of space and time. As Ive said before I have had borderline perfect tests for 15 years, one month where stuff got crazy. I am no idiot and yes 15 years with no water change and great levels says I know a thing or two. Im sorry if you have to do a wc every week. I have always attempted to have the most natural ecosystem I can for my tank inhabitants. If you don't know of anyone who doesn't do water changes that's great for you but its actually quite common with people trying to have a natural reef light tank. Oh btw my levels are normal now and what do you know, the gsp has shrank and isn't extending. I cut one of my halides and dropped the led down to 4 hrs actinic only 1 hour before mh, one hr after then off then one hour before mh off and one hour after. Skimmate normal, green algae coming back. All fish and anenomes are great and no signs of any effect. Calcium now down to 520, no water change but all substrate has been rolled and cleaned in tank. As far as the picture goes, it seemed as if another idiot was trying to talk trash instead of helping and not to have a picture. Not sure what picture I would take anyway. Have a nice day all. If you aren't here to help please next time refrain from your flaming ways and educate yourself about what someone wrote so far and what their question pertained to.

Thanks to anyone who actually tried to help, you did but my question I guess has an elusive answer or an answer I don't want to hear. I may have unwanted properties in my rock or sand although test results all come out good. Ive never used copper on anything that has to do with this tank but I bought my rock from a lot of sources trying to get a great mix. I hope its not the rock but in a month or so Ill replace all if I cant see any improvement and move old rock to my fowlr tank.

Thanks to anyone who actually tried to help, you did but my question I guess has an elusive answer or an answer I don't want to hear. I may have unwanted properties in my rock or sand although test results all come out good. Ive never used copper on anything that has to do with this tank but I bought my rock from a lot of sources trying to get a great mix. I hope its not the rock but in a month or so Ill replace all if I cant see any improvement and move old rock to my fowlr tank.

if you don't do waterchanges how are you exporting nutrients?

Back