Corals available at Nov. 1st meeting - SPS, LPS and softies

Greg Hiller

LIRA club members. I'm a comin' out that way to speak at your club on Reefkeeping Chemistry. The talk is somewhat technical in nature, but I try to keep it entertaining. There even options to control the "œdirection" of the talk, kind of like a "œchoose your own story" video game!

I'll be driving down for this presentation so it's possible for me to bring corals for members that are interested. Most of the corals I will have available have been in my tank for years, many over a decade. Most anything I have is HEARTY! Most grow reasonably fast or I wouldn't be selling frags from them. EVERYTHING I'm selling here is from my own tanks. I'd say of the corals in my system at least 95% of the coral mass was grown in my tank(s). Some of these corals are "œclassics" that have been passed down from the early truly successful hobbyists like Larry Jackson. Some I know the origin of, some I really cannot remember. So don't expect a pedigree certificate! I have very few if any of the "œrare" corals in the hobby that grow super slow.

Many people will ask me for stuff from my ancient web site. A few of those corals over the years did not make it (sometimes a tank can become somewhat "œimmune" to a coral, don't know exactly why), or never had any demand so I may have removed them to make way for more colorful stuff. Some of these are still available in the hobby from various sources, particularly in the Boston area. Please pick from what I have below.

I do not plan to set up a tank at the talk, so I'm only going to bring what people specifically ask for, and pay for in advance. Payment will be by Paypal. You can confirm your order by sending me an email at "œcorals at greghiller and then the dot and then the com". Please do not send Paypal until I confirm I still have everything you are interested in. I'll try and respond to emails within 24 hours over the coming days before the meeting. Please make it clear what you want in your email. Please include a REAL NAME and a phone number where you can be reached (ideally a cell #). I will not hold anything until I have confirmation of payment. If you ask a lot of questions and there's a lot of back and forth emails before you confirm, whatever it is you want might be gone, my tank and colonies are big, but not infinite.

Please do not use the PM system here on Reef Central cause I won't be reading it. Do not post below as I will not respond. Please plan ahead as I will not have time the morning of the talk to still be responding to emails

I can distribute anything purchased in the 30 minutes before the meeting, or after the meeting is over. Please do not interrupt the talk though! I'll be spending the night nearby. I plan to leave early in the morning, but if you cannot make the meeting we might be able to arrange to have you pick up first thing Saturday morning (your corals will be out of a tank longer though).

Okay, below is what I have. Some of the corals will be encrusted, some might be newly cut (particularly for last minute orders), no promises. There may be more info about where stuff came from or how it grows at my ancient web site www.greghiller.com :

SPS corals:

Purple/blue Acropora tortuosa, 1-2 inch frags - $20, 2-3" frags - $30, 2-3" multi-branch colonies - $70

blue-purple%20tort%20with%20frag.jpg

The "Blueberry" Acropora - 1" frags $25 "“ these are in very limited supply!

drrmac-from-above-sharp.jpg

Larry Jackson's purple-tipped Acro (the classic!) "“ 1-2" small cluster frags - $15/ea

A mother colony from many years ago:

ljackson_acro-sm.jpg

What your frags are likely to look like:

gh_ljax-002.jpg

The classic "œBali" green slimmer Acropora yongei? "“ 1-2" frags $20, 2-3" $30, small clusters $45.

38569418646_06102efbe1_c.jpg

John Coppolino's blue staghorn Acropora. Typically a solid blue (sometimes with green tips) with spiky polyps. Super thick branches, slower growing. 1-2" frags $25, 2-3" $40.

38593175312_3a6c73ee37_c.jpg

Pink table-top Acropora "“ 1-2" frags - $30

Magnifica%20split%20at%20end.jpg

Green Montipora hispida "“ forms plates and fingerlike projections "“ frags will be either plates or fingerlike projections (please do not specify, it will grow into whatever shape in your tank, this coral grows FAST) - ~2" pieces $20/ea.

m-hispida1.jpg

Green Montipora capricornis? (probably actually M. aequituberculata, at least that's what Veron thought after I'd given him enough margaritas) "“ 1-2" pieces $20, 2-3" pieces $30

cindys%20montipora%20with%20frag.jpg

Purple Montipora capricornis? (probably actually M. aequituberculata) "“ 1-2" pieces $20, 2-3" pieces $30. Not likely to look quite as purple as the below photo (brightest purple under bright light), but will be nice.

purple%20cap.jpg

Orange Montipora capricornis? (probably actually M. aequituberculata) the one on the right edge in the 1st photo below "“ 1-2" pieces $20 "“don't have a ton of this, it just started doing well in my tank again.

26850024459_b04d45f69d_b.jpg

gh_or_mc-002_frags.jpg

Purple polyps with faint purple-rim Montipora capricornis? (probably actually M. aequituberculata), sometimes called the "œflower petal" Monti I think, center of below photo "“ 1-2" pieces $25

26850024459_b04d45f69d_b.jpg

purple%20polyped%20m%20cap%20small%20frag.jpg

Of course I also have some of the classic Montipora digitata's. Orange, and teal?/olive green. Same price for both. $1-2" frags - $15, 2-3" frags - $30:
This is not the greatest photo of the orange...it can be nearly pink.

orange_mont.jpg

Teal/olive green:

teal%20m%20digitata.jpg

Green Stylophora "“ 1" frags $20

Green Stylo zoom small.jpg

Pink Stylophora "“ 1" frags $20

26849646779_ae3a8e8264_c.jpg

Green "œpotato-chip" Pavona "“ probably Pavona cactus? This is a very thin-branched Pavona, grows fast. $20 for a 1-2"

38593745442_cc78161fc3_b.jpg

Yellow Turbinaria reniformis(?) available (yes sometimes bubble algae grows between the folds). $1-2" frags $25

26863205129_1b11b20a64_b.jpg

LPS:

Rainbow Brain coral "“ likely genus Favia "“ One of the most fantastically colored and hearty corals I've encountered. I have four "“ 10-polyp colonies - $50 each, and four "“ 5-polyp colonies - $30 each

Rainbow Favia - small.jpg

Green-eye brain corals "“ likely genus Favia "“ 10-polyp colonies - $20, 20 polyp colonies - $35

favia - brain - green frag.jpg

Blue ridge coral, Heliopora coerulea (actually scientifically a soft coral, but has a hard skeleton). Brown tissue over a blue skeleton (no one ever wants because it's predominantly brown). This coral likes to encrust a lot. Sometimes called the living fossil as had not changed in millions of year. The polyps only extend occasionally, and sometimes the coral sheds waxy surface. 1-2" frags $10 each.

blueridge-sm.jpg

38583038026_f74d506b1f_b.jpg

"œSunset" encrusting Montipora "“ 1-2" frags - $25 each

sunset montipora fragment.jpg

Hollywood chalice ~2" diameter pieces - $25 each "“ these will likely be recently cut and NOT attached. These have been under somewhat low light, so do not shock with high light initially.

38625659421_065bb612a4_b.jpg

Soft corals:

Solomon Islands brown leather coral (Sarcophyton sp.). Fast-growing and easy to propagate, this mushroom leather forms zillions of long polyps that move with the current. Clownfish will sometimes host in this coral when it gets large "“ 1-2" frags $25/ea - cut on 20-Oct-2019, might not be fully attached, but will be well healed by meeting date. Limited availability.

solomon%20islands%20leather.jpg

[

Purple Efflatounaria - best color under reflected lighting, quite hardy. Originally from Sanjay J. (yes, the lighting guru) "“ will be fully attached - 1-2" piece $20, 2-3" piece $35:

Efflatounaria.jpg

Unusual white with short stalks pulsing Xenia - $25 for a multi-clump attached colony

w_xenia.jpg

Anemones:

Classic red/rose bubble-tip anemone "“ E. quadricolor - $35 "“ only one available

rose mommy.jpg

Rainbow (red and green) bubble-tip anemone "“ E. quadricolor - $45 "“ only one available

Rainbow bubble tip anemone closeup.jpg

A few of you may have received auto-replies from my email address. Please ignore them. I'd thought I'd disabled the auto-reply, but I clearly had not. It should now be disabled. If you sent me an email I have received it and will reply within 24 hours.

Back