Could I be cycled and fish ready?

atomicenergy13

60 gallon tank, FOWLR, 100% Petco "water in a box" sea water, 50lbs live rock, 3 inches deep of live sand. 81 degrees (I know, it's a bit hot I think).

Set up tank on 5/13. 8.1PH, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrate, 10 Nitrate.

5/15. .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-10 nitrate, PH 8.2.

5/18. 0 ammonia. 0 nitrite. PH 8.2. Nitrate between 5-10.

Today, 5/21. PH 8.2, Nitrite 0. Ammonia 0. Nitrate 5-10 but closer to 5.

I'm very sorry everyone for the shaky nitrate levels, this API liquid test tube kit is incredibly hard to read because in every single light it looks a different color. I also know it's always been a week but technically it did what the cycle was supposed to do according to what i've read online. Supposedly, as well, the water, the sand, the cycle assist stuff, and live rock should've made my tank "instantly cycled". Any thoughts? Thank you!

While I do believe you have had the initial cycle I would still wait another week before adding a clean-up crew and other livestock. I would start (if you haven't already) ghost feeding the tank a pinch of dry flake food daily.If after one more week you still do not see traces of either ammonia or nitrites, you are good to start slowly adding livestock.

While I do believe you have had the initial cycle I would still wait another week before adding a clean-up crew and other livestock. I would start (if you haven't already) ghost feeding the tank a pinch of dry flake food daily.If after one more week you still do not see traces of either ammonia or nitrites, you are good to start slowly adding livestock.

+1 Wait another week or so... just to be safe.

Your tank sounds like it has a bio-filter started. Just remember the bio-filter is a living thing and is always in a state of flux, growing and dieing off. If you move to fast in a new tank you can very easily over take the filter and start a new cycle. By moving slow and only adding live stock slowly you give the bio-filter time to catch up with out over loading it. If you have too much bio-load and not enough bio-filter that is when things can go bad fast, the more a tank matures the more forgiving it will be but only to a point. Just keep it slow JMO.

Thanks guys! Now the nervousness begins of figuring out this complicated acclimation process and making these fish happy and healthy in their new homes.

Thanks guys! Now the nervousness begins of figuring out this complicated acclimation process and making these fish happy and healthy in their new homes.

You'll do just fine. That nervousness doesn't go away - I still get it everytime I add something to my tank even when I know my levels are perfect.

Back