couple of questions about which skimmer to buy

I've never owned a Bubble Master. But I've heard the Sicce's that come on ATI BMs have a brake to prevent the impeller from spinning backwards, while the Sicces on the MSX don't. Perhaps someone can confirm this.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12912978#post12912978 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dflad
Hmmm. I had a BM160 that would occasionally not start, I was told to trim the mesh and did so, the pump never was trouble after that. I traded up to a BM200. The BM200 never had a problem with pump startups.

P

I trimmed the mesh down to 42mm on my BM 160 and it still showed the start up troubles, so I don't consider this a fool-proof fix. The meshwheels are much more "individual" in nature as opposed to the needlewheels...

Heck, even Tunze uses the Sicce, so you can't fault it for performance... However as Greg said, the Eheim is really bulletproof and king of the hill. My only gripe with the Eheim is that it is HUGE!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12913665#post12913665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Todd March
Heck, even Tunze uses the Sicce, so you can't fault it for performance...
This summer Tunze goes away from the Sicce based Hydrofoamer. The have designed their own pump for their skimmers. I was told it was due to quality and reliability issues. They should be showing the new pumps at this years Reef-A-Palooza.

todd I don't know if you saw it but the new octo extremes actually send you 2 impellers a mesh and the needle. Mesh makes more bubbles but of course raises the energy draw from the sicce pumps (as with any pump with mesh) but lemme tell you they draw in TONS of air.

fishybiz those are nice but a little out of my price range...im going with a Bubblemaster 250 Skimmer i am getting it at a great price.... it should do the job, right?

hawaiian-boi, yes do the job, no problem--but most want even more from their skimmers than merely doing the job... When setting up a new system, honestly the lights and skimmer are NO place to try to save some bucks (and realistically for a system as large as yours, $1000-$2000 for a skimmer is about right).

I think the BM 250 is a very good skimmer if you can live with it's faults; however if you can spend a bit more, or wait and save a bit more, any of the used Deltecs often offered here on RC for around $1000-$1200, powered by the Eheim 1260's, are much better sklmmers and a great investment for your tank. The jury is still out on the durability of the Sicee--they are too new, but I know of Deltecs with the original Eheim pumps that are 10+ years old, and still going strong...

However if you're getting ready to get the tank up and running and need the hardware, and really following a budget, I've been there...! (read factory blemished external EuroReef that leaked like a sieve) Start with the BM 250 and see how it goes--you can always upgrade in the future.

Last edited:
Greg, I didn't know that Tunze had axed the Sicce--Mmmmm, interesting...

Greg at ReefGeek told me that ATI is coming out with a new skimmer line as well, to replace the current Bubble Masters... Wonder if they will forgo the Sicce as well...?

I didn't realize that the Octo Extremes came with both wheels, chevegan, that's cool. I like the options. I almost bought a used ATB Nano from someone here on RC that has both the mesh and the needlewheels, though it seems like the meshwheel is overkill for the little Nano's body...

When ATB put the needlewheel onto the 1260 for the small cone, that was it for me--everything I wanted with red acrylic to boot...!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12916014#post12916014 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Todd March
hawaiian-boi, yes do the job, no problem--but most want even more from their skimmers than merely doing the job... When setting up a new system, honestly the lights and skimmer are NO place to try to save some bucks (and realistically for a system as large as yours, $1000-$2000 for a skimmer is about right).

I think the BM 250 is a very good skimmer if you can live with it's faults; however if you can spend a bit more, or wait and save a bit more, any of the used Deltecs often offered here on RC for around $1000-$1200, powered by the Eheim 1260's, are much better sklmmers and a great investment for your tank. The jury is still out on the durability of the Sicee--they are too new, but I know of Deltecs with the original Eheim pumps that are 10+ years old, and still going strong...

However if you're getting ready to get the tank up and running and need the hardware, and really following a budget, I've been there...! (read factory blemished external EuroReef that leaked like a sieve) Start with the BM 250 and see how it goes--you can always upgrade in the future.

+1

also if it's not too much for you now a days people are making some AMAZING bekett style skimmers for their large systems. Many have had their tanks on totm. I would do a search. You could get away with something that kicks but which will perform far beyond what you need.

Back