couple of questions about which skimmer to buy

I think you could get by with that 2 x Sicce skimmer. Depends so much what you will be keeping and how much livestock you plan on stocking...

For your large of a system, I would keep an eye out on the used equipment forums--you might be able to find a good deal used. An ATI Bubble Master 250 for instance also has 2 x Sicce pumps, but they are much better engineered and could easily handle 300-400 gallons...

If you really want to get serious about your new system look into a used Deltec--you can often find good used deals here on RC, but you would probably have to double your budget, maybe a bit more even--around $1200... An AP 702 would be a decent sized skimmer for 300-400g's.

If money is a big deal--look into a Beckett head skimmers--the most cost effective solution for that size tank, and good skimmers to boot...

Last edited:
Okay, that would be more like it...! With a 12" reaction tube, that could handle 400g's. If you mod the pumps to meshwheel, it would really help as well. That's a good deal for that much skimmer, no doubt. I don't think you can do much better, price wise...

I would plan your plumbing so that the skimmer is feed directly from the overflow...

I agree with Todd. I would go with a BM250 as a minimum. Better choices are Bubble King 250 Submarin or ATB Medium. Get as large of a one that you can afford and have space for.

I would also factor in some energy savings. The BK 250 Submarin only uses 45w and the ATB uses 54w! Compare that to Sedra pumps found on ASM, Octopus & WM.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12910399#post12910399 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reef_doug
I would also factor in some energy savings. The BK 250 Submarin only uses 45w and the ATB uses 54w! Compare that to Sedra pumps found on ASM, Octopus & WM.
That's the reason I have been looking at the BK. Is anyone still having problems with the pumps stopping or not restarting?

I have BK200 Internal and I have a timer to stop the skimmer 1hr everyday and never had problem starting it back.

ok I'm sorry I have to chime in but the octo extremes are designed directly after the BK's so it's a great product at a cheaper price

i have a BM250 and at 1st i thought it was a piece of crap. But after it broke in wow it pulls nasty stuff. the scicci pumps are awsome and low wattage. when i turn it off on off the pumps has trouble starting sometimes but just give it a wiggle and it ramps right up. i would recommend the BM250 but if the Octo is cheaper $$ then it might be better. looks like a BM clone

^^^ agree w/ savethereef. My BM250 took awhile to kick in and it works good. It is a mesh wheel and may require a bit of trimming. It is more of a "hands on" skimmer but works fairly well. I would imagine the Octopus Xtreme to be very similiar since it uses the same dual Sicci pumps.

The BK and ATB are thread wheels vs. mesh wheel on the BM & Octopus Xtreme.

The upcoming Octopus Extremes are a knock-off of the MSX skimmer line, which were knock-offs of the ATI Bubble Master line. The Octo Extremes, however, will come with both a needlewheel as well as mesh. So you have a choice of which bubble crunching method to use. As far as I've read on RC, these skimmers have the best performance for the price.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12911261#post12911261 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chevegan
ok I'm sorry I have to chime in but the octo extremes are designed directly after the BK's so it's a great product at a cheaper price

Somwhere here on RC I saw that someone put an air flow meter on both an Extreme and a ATI Bubble Master--same Sicce pumps--and the difference in airflow was dramatic. The ATI meshwheels (and don't quote me!) were something like 30% or 40% more powerful. I know it made my eyes jump, as with the same Sicce 2500, I would have thought them to be similiar.

Also to compare the Sicce's with a Red Dragon (BK), well, kinda silly really... Very different price points, very different build quality, very different skimmers... I do think for the money, the Extremes look great. All of the inital problems reported here on RC on the Extreme club thread was kinda of a turn-off however... They seemed to be solved now, though...

Personally, I like a mix of quality and performance. For me the pump is the most important part of a needlewheel/meshwheel skimmer.

The Octo Extremes and the MSX skimmers are solid performers in the $500 and under class of skimmers.
Upside:
Skimmer design is simple & performance driven.
The Sicce pumps have one of the highest air:water ratios for all skimmer pumps. They use very low wattage, huge air intake, and are virtually silent.
Downside:
The build quality of the skimmer is OK at best. The Sicce pumps may or may not start when you turn it on (may not be a big deal to some, but for me this is the deal breaker). Kind of like having a Fiat that will smoke a Porsche but you can't always get it to start.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12912425#post12912425 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gcarroll
The Sicce pumps may or may not start when you turn it on (may not be a big deal to some, but for me this is the deal breaker). Kind of like having a Fiat that will smoke a Porsche but you can't always get it to start.

I'm right with you here, Greg... I bought and tested a slightly used BM 160, and it works well, no doubt, but half the time (or more), it won't restart unless you put your hand over the pumps intake, or blow through the airline hose; both big pains, but having to put your hand into the water, right in front of the pump no less!, is a bad idea with meshwheels as your skin oils can impair the skimmer's ability to foam for at least an hour. I found what most have stated here on RC--the meshwheels are more powerful and effective than needlewheels, but you pay the price as they are more finicky as well...

In contrast, the Eheim needlewheel on my ATB Cone is flawless about starting--Never, never any issue, and my hands in the water is not an issue unless it if for an extended time period.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12912475#post12912475 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Todd March
In contrast, the Eheim needlewheel on my ATB Cone is flawless about starting--Never, never any issue, and my hands in the water is not an issue unless it if for an extended time period.
The very reason I like Eheim pump on any skimmer. The motor block is easily replaceable, but the needle wheels can be pricey.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12912510#post12912510 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Konadog
The very reason I like Eheim pump on any skimmer. The motor block is easily replaceable, but the needle wheels can be pricey.
Although the motor block is easily replaceable, I have never known one to fail. They seem to be just about bulletproof!

Hmmm. I had a BM160 that would occasionally not start, I was told to trim the mesh and did so, the pump never was trouble after that. I traded up to a BM200. The BM200 never had a problem with pump startups.

P

Back