Cowfish in trouble. Swallowed air?

PoriferaBob

Hello everyone, I've had this little guy in my 180 for close to a year now And he has always been very active and healthy. I noticed yesterday, around diner feeding time that he did not race over with everyone else to feed, but instead hung near the surface in the back corner.
When I got up this morning, he was stuck to the synergy ghost overflow so I immediately moved him to a QT and dosed seachem stress guard and Ruby Reef Rally.
He no longer seems to have any interest in food and is unable to leave the surface of the water. He is able to keep himself properly oriented and horizontal at the moment but does seem to be very lethargic. I attempted to push him lower and upon release, he floats to the surface like a bobber. I'm guessing he has swallowed some air as cowfish are notorious for.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Please and thank you. any help is appreciated

Quick update - I was able to get him to eat a few PE Mysis shrimp and shortly after he pooped. It was a very white poop. Not stringy really. But definitely white. Does this mean an internal parasite?

Could be. Prazipro or Metronidazole treatment will help if it is internal parasites. If you have difficulty getting him to eat, try live black worms.

Could be. Prazipro or Metronidazole treatment will help if it is internal parasites. If you have difficulty getting him to eat, try live black worms.

+1 API General Cure contains both prazi + metro. My recipe for food soaking it can be found below:

Using a shot glass:
1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of medication (General Cure)
1 scoop Seachem Focus (this makes it reef safe)
1 Tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
A pinch of Epsom salt to help expel dead worms/parasites
A few drops of saltwater or fish vitamins
Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved.
Feed after soaking for 30 mins.
Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers for future use.
You can feed this mix 1-2 times per day. Not recommend to exceed 2 feedings per day with medicated food.

Clownfish are a bit clumsy when it comes to dry food. My ocellaris female and some of my percula regularly swallow air during flake food feedings. Other anemonefish are far less prone to this.
If this occurs regularly it may lead to an inflammation of the bowel and cause white poop.
On the other hand, an inflammation of the bowel due to bacteria imbalance can lead to gas and result in the same symptoms.
Due to that it isn't always easy to determine which is the cause and which the effect.
I personally would wait and see how it develops.
But since treatment doesn't hurt this case you may also go that route right away.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not sure what to do for a cowfish that might have ingested air. With angler/frogfish you can "burp" them, but I don't know if this would work with boxfish.

Back