CPR overflow

75reef

Anyone out there using a CPR overflow? If so, do they work good? Are they noisy? Tell me. Tell me. Tell me.

They are horrible. They cant maintain a siphon on their own and require a vacuum pump to do so. If the pump fails, clogs, or the air nipple clogs, you have a problem. In addition, you cant take it apart and cleaning the inside of it is a real PITA. A quality U Tube based overflow is MUCH more reliable. Get a Lifereef overflow and you will not have a problem. They are pretty much bullet proof.

3 months, 2 failures with my CPR (air nipple clog). 2 years 0 failures with Lifereef.

I use an air check valve between the nipple and the aqualifter.If any flow problems happen siphon is not lost.

When i first got the overflow I ran it for a week with no aqualifter.
Just the check valve.

I used a CS100 on a 120G for about a year straight. It held a continuous siphon even without the aqualifter pump and restarted after several power failures. Noise was a problem and the air tube needed constant adjusting. Although, had I known of the many ways to silence your overflow(durso, etc), I wouldn't have had any problems. All in all, I was happy with the overflow.

If I were buying an overflow now though...I'd go for the Lifereef. The design is more appealing to me...also the 700gph model is only about $25 more than the competing CPR.

You'll get a few people who like the CPR box, but be that as it may, 10x more people dislike them and have had problems. I smashed mine on my garage after I got fed up.

CPR tried to reinvent a wheel that wasn't broken. Stick with u Tube overflows or just go drilled. ;)

i ran almost 2 years no problems with the cpr. i ran 8 years with U tubes.

if i had to do either one again id use the cpr. in the long run it was less maintanance and easier to start.

i drilled my tank a little over a month ago. kick myself for not doing it 10 years ago. man its so simple. just drill it and be done

Back