Cracked my skimmer cup

HumbleFish

Dr. Fish
Premium Member
So, clumsy me dropped the skimmer cup and put a long (but thin) crack in it. It still seems to hold water just fine, even without any repairs. But I know I need to fix it and do it right.

From what I've been reading, it seems using Weld-On #3, #4 or #16 would be my best options. But I'm not much of a DIY'er so I'd like some input from the community. If you could also recommend exactly how I go about using the Weld-On, that would be greatly appreciated. :)

Weld-on is easy to use (but messy), SLOWLY add one small line of weld-on #4 to the crack and push it together, hold it for a couple minutes.

Should bond it almost instantly.

Weld-on is easy to use (but messy), SLOWLY add one small line of weld-on #4 to the crack and push it together, hold it for a couple minutes.

Should bond it almost instantly.

Thank you for the reply. What would I use to apply a thin line of weld-on #4? Could I use a syringe?

Thank you for the reply. What would I use to apply a thin line of weld-on #4? Could I use a syringe?
Should come with an applicator tip on the bottle. If it doesn't, you could use a syringe but don't expect to ever be able to use it again :)

If you want a cheap fix, use pvc glue and let it dry for about 2-3 hours. I recieved an Aqua C Remora that was destroyed by the post office. I didnt have Weld-on, and I had nothing to lose, so I used PVC glue. Ugly, but this skimmer is on a 29 gallon to this day and its been about 8 months.

weldon #3 and #4 are thin like water or alcohol, they will wick into the crack and melt the plastic together chemically, one will set very fast, and one will set a little slower. Using a syringe is fine, but as thisguy12 said, an applicator would be better.

weldon #16 is much thicker, sort of like honey, it wont wick into the crack as much, but it will still cover the crack and bond the two sides together just fine. Use what ever you feel comfortable with, the will all work just fine for your need.

FYI, dont breath the stuff in. Its pretty harsh.

....FYI, dont breath the stuff in. Its pretty harsh.
Thanks for adding this part, OP only attempt this in a well ventilated area, Weld-On is very toxic and can burn your nostrils.

The applicators I have seen are similar to thick needles but don't have a sharp tip on them.

We aren't trying to scare you off, just be careful :)

Thanks guys. :thumbsup: I'll try to find some Weld-on locally, or have to order it online. I'll go slow when I use it and take all necessary precautions.

Thanks for adding this part, OP only attempt this in a well ventilated area, Weld-On is very toxic and can burn your nostrils.

The applicators I have seen are similar to thick needles but don't have a sharp tip on them.

We aren't trying to scare you off, just be careful :)

We use cans of weldon at work for various jobs, Someone left the can lid unscrewed just at tiny amount, and over a few days/weeks, it all evaporated out. I grabbed the can to work and it was light, unscrewed the lid and looked down into an empty can, then like an idiot, I put it up to my nose and smelled it.

I have no idea why I did that, but my lungs, throat and nose burned for days. Never again.

Syringe works well. Find a blunt tip one if you can (drug store, farm & ranch store, e-cig shop, ?). Blunt it yourself if you have to with a mill file or something. And pull the needle across your crack instead of pushing it. Probably be helpful if you find some scrap piece of acrylic, break it, and do a practice weld. Getting the fluid started without squirting it everywhere is the hardest part. The capillary action will suck it right into the crack. I wouldn't try to wipe up any excess, it'd leave a mess.

3 and 4 are thinner than water and will move into the crack easily through capillary action like previously stated. Spend the extra cash on an applicator bottle. Its minor and makes this stuff much easier to work with.

They are reusable because as the solvent dries it doesn't stick to the applicator bottle.

I've used syringes before many times and they are more dangerous and a pain to deal with.

Eye protection, gloves, and good ventilation are a must.

Yes, do not wipe up any residual. When it dries you probably won't be able to see it.

Back