cracked sump

JTheed

Basically I've had a problem with a leak in my sump for a bit now. I thought I finally had the problem taken care of, only to discover that there was leak several days after started running it. I finally broke the entire thing apart and discovered a significant crack on the pane with the bulkhead (i thnk I may have cracked it putting it back into the stand).

Anyhow, the crack runs pretty much all the way up one side of the short end of a 29 gallon glass tank.

Is it feasible or wise to simply silicone it and put it back under there? There are no gaps, it's just a crack that runs for a good few inches and leaks.

seanb1

its really hard to fix a crack in glass.

believe it or not water seeps through cracks and crevices that air under pressure cannot excape.

i would build another one.

JTheed

I'm not sure, but are you saying that silicon will not seal a glass crack? The statement about air versus wate doesn't seem particularly applicable.

Esquare

I had the same problem and cut a piece of acrylic the same size as the glass including the bulkhead hole and sandwiched a bunch of silicon inbetween it and the glass from the inside. Then I threw more silicon around the edges and reinstalled the bulkhead. Still holding after a month.