Crazy or possible?

jbsengineer

I'm a beginner. I have a Reefer 750 XXL on my first floor and still need to cure the rock, plumb it, etc. I'm thinking about putting the sump in my basement mainly because I could go with a bigger sump and use it for a frag tank as well (also keep noise down, clean easier, etc). So the head height would be 9-10 feet I'm guessing. However, where I would put the sump would be in a about 21 feet horizontally from where I drop the PVC. So it would conservatively be 10 feet down/up and 21 feet across.

I'm seriously looking into the triton method which would require a 10x turnover of water in the tank/sump per hour. The tank is 160g with 40g sump stock. But I'd pry upgrade that too a 80-100g sump. So a total of 260g system.

Possible? Just need a giant return pump?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

That is very do-able. I would recommend looking at the pressure rated Reeflo Pumps. I think having a remote "fish room" is fantastic. Keep your mess, stink, noise away while being able to stand up right while doing maintenance instead of hunched over inside a stand. While considering your dosing needs, check out the ATI Essentials!

Sure.. Thats entirely possible..and yes you will need a good pump and might not enjoy the energy bill increase

10x through your sump? hopefully you have a large skimmer that can handle or most of your water will be returned unskimmed. ( just wont be very efficient at skimming ) a large external pump ( reeflo or blueline ) would be the way to get it done

Sure.. Thats entirely possible..and yes you will need a good pump and might not enjoy the energy bill increase

The Swordtail is only 150w, which is only 30 more than a Vectra. However like you said if he wants 5000gph he is going to be up 600w more.

I am with the other post, no reason to do 10x through your sump. 10x through your tank is a better target (as a soft coral only minimum IMO).

Last edited:
I'm seriously looking into the triton method which would require a 10x turnover of water in the tank/sump per hour. The tank is 160g with 40g sump stock. But I'd pry upgrade that too a 80-100g sump. So a total of 260g system.

Possible? Just need a giant return pump?
!

You actually only need 1600 GPH ish according to there diagram, it's main tank volume turn over you'd want.

algae-refugium.png

While I can't speak to the Triton method, my RubberMaid 150 Galllon sump is in the basement and a room over from my 300. I ran about 20 feet of 2" Flex pvc to and from (punched holes in the floor) for filtration. Also installed some floor jacks/with 2 X 8s for additional weight support after having hired a structural engineer come through and provide recommendations.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ray

Hm, the website says 10x system volume. What would be considered "system volume"? (the sump+dt or just dt?)

"The return pump capacity should be around 10 x the system volume."

Its 10x your main tanks (dt) volume. (sump is not included in the calculation..dt only)

Should I be concerned about the 1" drain diameter? Upon reading many docs it sounds like since the Reefer is a herbie overflow that the full siphon should allow me to meet 1600gph with a 10 foot drop easily.

Back