Critique my tank and sump!

felixfish

I would like the experts and reef keepers help me add, improve, or critique my piece of the ocean. Here is a short journey of things i've changed, and learned.

Here is a current shot at my 55g. I went for the minimalistic look and added a lot of my live rock to my sump.

PICT0515 by felix_434, on Flickr

When I started the sump:
I also have a unique 29G sump tank unlike Berlin or typical set-ups. To make a long story short, I attempted to add baffles after my ATO (Algae Turf Scrubber), to a HOB skimmer, then to my return pump. I have changed a lot from skimmer only to HOB refugium, to cutting holes in the wall and adding a 29G sump tank in my furnace room behind the tank.

IMG_1051 by felix_434, on Flickr

Well the baffles gave way and now I'm not using baffles, which I don't get any micro bubbles.
I ran just my old Reef Octopus HOB with my ATS.

IMG_1068 by felix_434, on Flickr

My sump now houses my ATS, BRS reactor, HOB skimmer, ATO, filter sock & holder, and heater. I have a bunch of my live rock from the DT in my sump as well.

Untitled by felix_434, on Flickr

ATS

IMG_1483 by felix_434, on Flickr

Filter sock and holder

And our hungry cat Mudo :-D

PICT0502 by felix_434, on Flickr

I want to strive to have mostly soft coral maybe some LPS tank, and appreciate your feedback. I have a Solar Extreme 4 T5 with 2 -10K and 2 actinic's.

I apologize in advance for being off-topic but I have to say it. I love the cat picture! Nicely photographed!

Complicated, busy, but undoubtfully effective.

Get your power strip off the floor please. I'd hate to see your tank (and house) go up in flames.

Good night! A plumbers nightmare! Actually, if it works for you, good job. Have you thought about maybe a 55 back there? From the pics looks like you might have room. More water volume the better.

Great cat pic! i had a sanded like that once - looks fantastic and quite natural. I made the mistake of disturbing it too often and it caused major probs. Ive never employed an ATS but from what i understand, you won’t need that skimmer soon. the ATS is very effective at removing N and P (been considering going that way myself...maybe someday) Many threads on ATS these days - they can be too good so be careful not to starve corals, but what do i know. I think everything looks great! (Plumbing blows but whatever :)

Actually, my plumbing blows too! Sorry i said that. Proof is in the pudding right. its been 10 years and i finally have growth and some color. the only thing i have learned: don’t buy into the snake oils and “trend of the week.” its like i read on a zeovit forum recently: pick a Cal and Alk number and keep it there.

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question but what is the one titled ATS? What's its purpose? WHat does it do?

ATS = Algae Turf Scrubber. It's the screen that has the two lights pointing on it. A very effective method of nutrient removal. It grows turf algae in a high flow, high oxygen environment (the screen) and you remove it once a week or so and trash it.

Some have had it perform so well their chaeto started to starve

Thanks, yes my turf scrubber pulls out a lot of the nitrated and phosphates. I've also noticed a nice clarity in the water after adding the filter sock. The one thing I would like to change around it using 1" spa flex piping for my overflow plumbing to get the flow moving faster. I don't like every time I feed the fish i have to unplug the skimmer & return pump. I need to find like DJ switches or something.

Thanks, yes my turf scrubber pulls out a lot of the nitrated and phosphates. I've also noticed a nice clarity in the water after adding the filter sock. The one thing I would like to change around it using 1" spa flex piping for my overflow plumbing to get the flow moving faster. I don't like every time I feed the fish i have to unplug the skimmer & return pump. I need to find like DJ switches or something.

I'd recommend getting a controller. I just have to press two buttons on my reefkeeper then my pumps turn off for 10 minutes and my skimmer turns off for 40. Just one more way to girlfriend-proof the tank.

Back