Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed

BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, Australian media said. He was 44

very sad...

Hey shotgun- where have you been the past two years?

Out of all the venomous creatures he handled over the years how ironic is it that a Stringray got him? I wonder if his guard was down.

An artical fron the web news
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve Irwin died "doing what he loves best," says friend there at fatal stingray incident
The Associated Press

Published: September 4, 2006
BRISBANE, Australia Steve Irwin, the Australian television personality known as The Crocodile Hunter, "died doing what he loves best," his friend and producer said Monday.

Australia Zoo, the wildlife park Irwin ran in northeastern Queensland state, issued a statement confirming he was killed Monday "by a stingray barb to his heart" while filming a sequence for his daughter's new television series on the Great Barrier Reef.

Irwin was stung about 11 a.m. (0100GMT) on Batt Reef, off the remote resort town of Port Douglas.

Crew members aboard Irwin's boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered cardio pulmonary resuscitation techniques as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter.

Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead at about midday, the statement said.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," John Stainton, Irwin's friend and producer said in the statement.

"He died doing what he loves best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. Crocs Rule!"

BRISBANE, Australia Steve Irwin, the Australian television personality known as The Crocodile Hunter, "died doing what he loves best," his friend and producer said Monday.

Australia Zoo, the wildlife park Irwin ran in northeastern Queensland state, issued a statement confirming he was killed Monday "by a stingray barb to his heart" while filming a sequence for his daughter's new television series on the Great Barrier Reef.

Irwin was stung about 11 a.m. (0100GMT) on Batt Reef, off the remote resort town of Port Douglas.

Crew members aboard Irwin's boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered cardio pulmonary resuscitation techniques as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter.

Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead at about midday, the statement said.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," John Stainton, Irwin's friend and producer said in the statement.

"He died doing what he loves best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. Crocs Rule!"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought you guys might want to read a little

Sad news indeed. Strange irony. Of all the creatures he handled, crocs, King Browns, Taipans, Tiger Snakes, Mambas etc., etc., it was a reef critter that took him out. But as the articles said, he died doing what he loved. Perhaps there's some small solice in that. He will be missed.

Man that sucks, I used to love to watch his show...I would have never thought that a stingray could kill someone. Such a peaceful animal.

This news is horrible I loved that man his show and how dangerous he was had to catch up with him sometime.

I watched him before he became famous. Use to love watching his shows, he will be missed. As a father myself, my heart goes out to his wife Terri and his 8yr old daughter and 3 yr old son.

My heart goes out to his family right now. He has done a great service by educating people about animals. There are many that do it, but not quite the same way. He will be greatly missed by many.

I was up at 4am last night when i heard this and i didnt believe it cause i was extremely tired and it was just a shock
They said that only 2 people were ever recorded in Australia that have died from a stingray, the other person was a young kid 18 years ago
and the thing is what he was doing wasnt really that dangerous, compared to other things that he's done
it was just a strain of bad incidences all strung up at once

I've been thinking about it, alot. This is just speculation of course but It was his time and fate.

This was a crocodile hunter. This was a wild man (and a family man), He couldn't die of old age. That would be against the grain of everything he was. He couldn't be killed by a croc, he was a croc hunter. We all will die in some way, he went in one of the best. He was stabbed in the heart by a stingray.

If his spirit still lives, and I believe they do, than he's probably saying "I miss my family, and God take care of them, but thanks for taking me out that way." He could have died in a hospital room after years of draining and debilitating cancer treatment. He could have died in a mundane bike car accident. No, he was stabbed in the heart by wildlife. Which was one of the biggest parts of his heart.

Overall, I'm sad. His family is very, very sad. But if it was his time, than this was the way, and a very fitting, valiant, and couragous way. Doing what he loved, living life on the edge.

If only I am so lucky.

So sad. :( My kids love the Wiggly Safari DVD...With the Wiggles and Steve Irwin.

We are going on a cruise in February and plan to go to Stingray Island and swim with the stingrays. I have heard it is amazing. We will still do this, but I am wondering how it will affect the business that offer swimming with the stingrays?

One washed up dead on the beach once, and I cut off its stinger and made it into a necklace when I was a kid. Man, it was a nasty but cool looking device, but such a docile creature. I think that Kent is 100% correct, I don't think that anyone could have put it better. Croc on!

This, like any other death, is tragic. I am sorry for the family.

However, Steve Irwin's show was just a very bad example of how to treat and interact with nature. After his death people are calling him a "naturalist". I disagree. How can someone who calls himself a "crocodile hunter" be a naturalist? Moreover, in his show, he persistently disturbed animals in their habitat, interacting with them in very inappropriate ways (e.g. touching snakes, grabbing crocodiles, flying stingrays). It was just a very bad example to the audience, in my opinion.

Finally, every one should be aware of how poisonous a stingray is. He knew this, of course, and he probably knew that you should not disturb a stingray. Further, one should not abuse wildlife, and one should not grab stingrays in the reefs and try to swim on their back, (or touch any other animal for that matter). So he knew what he was exposing himself to, and he lost. Now his family has to pay the consequences of his irresponsible actions.

Alvaro

Back