Culture station - Phyto plankton culture

fasteddiet

Great how-to article!
I am still what would be classified as a beginner having only had my setup running for 6 months. I thought about this idea already and had rec'd info through RC about setting up a live brine culture, this part seems easier than the plankton/algae culture. My questions for you are on creating the plankton culture - is this to feed the corals only? How much is required for a 150 gallon tank with softies and stonies? How difficult is it to properly create the phytoplankton properly so as to not kill the aquarium inhabitants? My concern is after reading the link by Shawn carlson about sterilization and proper bacterial counts, my fear is that I would create a bad mix and wipe out my tank. Will providing the live phyto plankton increase the growth rates and survival rates of my tank? If so and its not dosed properly can it create a nitrate explosion? I am not a chemist or marine biologist but the concept itself seems like a great idea. Please offer advice on whether I will be needing to create a chemistry lab or is this suitable for an amateur/beginner like myself. Sorry for all the questions, but I like the concept and need help. Thanks.

fasteddiet,

Yes, you can culture phytoplankton without having a laboratory.

No, you don't have to have a Ph.D. in chemistry or marine biology.

The phytoplankton is not so much directly for the corals as it is the sandbed and filter feeders in the tank. As the sandbed critters multiply, they provide food for corals.

The amount of phytoplankton you can add to any tank is dependant on tank conditions. Conditions in this instance refers to inhabitants. Feeding phytoplankton should be a gradual process, start with small doses and slowly increase the doses over time.

Nitrate Explosion? I suppose anything is possible, but I doubt it will happen if you slowly ramp your feedings. When I first started culturing phytoplankton, I ramped feedings up to 20oz a day. I did this over a month's time and continued it for close to 2 months. I did not see any ill effects on the tank. I did see substantial growth in filter feeders and associated crittters. The problem was when I stopped feeding the large amounts, which I did not ramp down. The sandbed did every thing but totally crash and filter feeders reduced in numbers. The were expected results, but I had to prove them to myself.

If your seriously interested in culturing your own phytoplankton, get the Plankton Culture Manual and the book Clownfishes. Information on both is at the bottom of the Reefkeeping.com article.

Do search on Reef Central for "Flame*Angel". She has a wonderful site with lots of good information. There have also been several threads lately concerning this subject.

Don't know if I answered your questions or not, but I did seem to ramble.

Dwayne

Thanks, I built your setup yesterday and have purchased a shipment of brine eggs already. I will read a book before culturing the phytoplankton, by the way is reading both books necessary, which one is better? Anyway, thanks for your input.

fasteddiet said:
Thanks, I built your setup yesterday and have purchased a shipment of brine eggs already. I will read a book before culturing the phytoplankton, by the way is reading both books necessary, which one is better? Anyway, thanks for your input.

Good to hear, hope it works well for you.

Which book is better? It would be very hard for me to choice between the two books. Get which ever one you can now and then try to get the other one in the future. FYI - Florida Aqua Farms offers the Plankton Culture Manual with one or some of their plankton kits.

Dwayne

Back