Curing Live Rock With Shrimp???

braysmom

we're curing our live rock in our tank (don't worry we have no livestock yet) and i remeber seeing somewhere to throw in one uncooked shrimp to help with the cycling. is this true? and how long do we leave it in???

That was the old school way of doing it before lr hit the market. If you use a half pound to one pound per gal you will be fine and actually cycle faster

YOu could just add a couple of flakes of fish food. The shrimp will work I am not sure the length that it should be put in for. Someone will be able to give you a better answer on that. The main thing that you are looking for is a spike in your ammonia. I ended up achieving a ammonia spike just from the die off on the rock.

well we've had ammonia but we just added 45 more pounds of rock last night on top of the 52 pounds that was already curing. our local pet store is pretty limited on their selection of stuff (nothing to help with the cycle) so we went ahead and threw in a shrimp late last night. didn't figure it would hurt anything, lol.

Back