Curious about circulation?

Gusher

I'm kinda new to the hobby and have read all the new sections so I hope I'm not asking a stupid question.

I finally got me a 120g 48x24x24 dual overflow. I got the power heads that vortchs app recommended, an MP40wES and an MP10wES. So I think I have good tank circulation since I don't want the circulation based off my return pump pump. I want good contact in my sump for the skimmer to work good. So am I doing this right and what gph return pump should I use? Also should I be using kalk, 2 part or calcium reactor for this new tank?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Jon

You will want somewhere between 700 and 1000 GPH of flow (after accounting for head height pressure loss). An Eheim 1262 pump would be an excellent choice for an in-sump pump. When the tank is new with only a few corals water changes alone will probably keep up with your needs. A little later kalk will work as you add more stony corals. If you end up with a lot of stony corals or clams in your tank eventually you will need to switch to either a calcium reactor or dosing two part. The calcium reactor would probably be less expensive to run long term, but they are a little more complicated and prone to problems than dosing two part.

Great info, thanks. It looks like I have about 5 feet from the bottom of sump to the top of the tank.

I don't like buying things twice so I'm thinking 2 part and just use it once my perimeters don't look right after a water change.

With a Eheim 1262 and the two power heads I have, will I have enough turnover?

What type of corals do you plan on keeping? You will be fine for most corals. For SPS corals I would have started with two MP-40's rather than one MP-40 and one MP-10 but it may be okay even with your current set-up. If necessary you could always add another MP-10 doew the road.

I think that suggestion will be fine and is a good begining :) Your livestock choices will ultimately determine your dosing procedure.

Ty

When I got the Mp10w the rep said it would work on 1/2 inch glass even though the specs said no. So after I got it, I'd does have some problems so I called back and they said that they will exchange if if I paid the 180 difference of the Mp40w. So ill just do that on Monday :) then flow shouldn't be an issue correct?

What I have on my new 120g is (I upgraded from a 65g)

2- Radion G2
Full apex system with lab grad probes
Tunz ATO system
Marineland 300 Skimmer
BRS Pro GFO/Carbon reactor (mixing at the moment)
Eshopp sump 30g I think, dual inlets.
Mp10w (soon to be a 40)
Mp40w
600 gph return pump (looks like a cheap one from my 65g)

100 lbs of live rock
4 inch sand bed

I started this hobby about a year ago and love it but feel stupid at times lol. So any advice on equipment that I am lacking please let me know. I've only lost one chromis in all that time and a skunk shrimp going from the 65 to this 120. I have 6 fish total right now and some soft corals.

Thanks for your help guys.

Looks like a nice start. Yes two MP-40 will give you plenty of flow for any type of coral. You may need to upgrade the return pump at a later date. Mixed reviews on the skimmer but i have never owned one myself.

The skimmer was on the 65g for almost a year and it produced a lot of skimit. I got it because of limited space under the 65g and it's worked good but it's also my first skimmer so I might have a piece of crap and don't know it lol

I just looked up the Eheim 1260 and it has a 640gph, is this enough? I would rather dial a pump down than not have enough?

For a 120 I would run the 1262. I use a 1260 on my 50 gallon tank and just don't see it giving you anough flow in a 120. Remeber you are going to loose a fair amonunt of flow with head pressure loss. The 1262 delivers around 700 GPH at 5' of head. If you are happy with the skimmer no reason to get another one!

Last edited:
Ok great. On the return in the tank I have the option of a single outlet or a Y giving me 4 returns into the tank instead of 2. Will this matter in return pump selection?

Also I'm running the Magflow overflows but getting a gurgling sound, this will stop with a bigger return right? More flow into the sump I'm guessing will make it quiet?

Back