Current Nova Extreme fixture noise?

Harpo

Premium Member
I'm considering retrofitting a Current Extreme Nova 48inch T5 light fixture into an existing 48 inch hood on a 90 gallon tank. How noisy is the fan? How do you like the fixture? Any better or less expensive options?

Thanks, Mark

I've had the 36" version for a couple of years now. The fan sounds like a jet engine. I've always meant to replace it with a better fan, but just haven't gotten around to it, so I don't run the fan at all. Couple that with the lack of individual reflectors, and I can say I should have spent a few more dollars for a better fixture. Well, I should be fair, and more specific. I can grow softies and some easier LPS with it. It just won't grow anything too demanding. Hope this helps.

I had a similar light fixture. The fan is louder than I'd like (and I've heard from others that they're loud as well.)

I'd suggest going with it; if the noise is too loud, just switch out the fans for a few that you can buy for cheap.

I have the 48" and the fan is pretty loud. I like the fixture overall. Does anyone have a link to a quieter replacement?

noisy fan

noisy fan

Have the same light - only objection is the fan. How difficult is it to switch to another fan and what happens if you don't use the fan?

I have a 30" and the noise is not too bad..I agree the lack of individual reflectors is the only downfall IMO.

I have two NEP 36" lights. The fans are(were) too noisy.

Since I have 12vdc in an umbilical line for the canopy fans (icepac and not noisy), I replaced the four fans in the two NEP with SilenX 80mm 9dBA 20 CFM fans(12vdc) and connected them to the umbilical line using quick connects.

With the four light fans and the four canopy fans operating they are less noise than one of the original NEP fans (rated at 20 CFM, 25dBA).

The fans do make some noise, I have the 48" fixture you are considering. It's not too loud though, and it seems to be plenty of light for everything I've put in the tank so far. I haven't even considered replacing the fans, but it wouldn't difficult or expensive.
I'm confident I'll have no problems with the clam and the SPS I'm planning to add. My tank isn't very deep though.

I have the aquactinics TX5. Its a 5 bulb, individual reflector unit with a very quiet fan. I have a marineland unit and its fan is louder than the aquactincs when its 20 feet away and inside a canopy.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I just finally got the noise on my 135 gal. tank under control and my wife would be most unhappy if I now made the 90 noisy. I'll keep shopping for a quieter fixture.

Mark

hmm, I'm surprised some people consider the fan noisy. I have the 48" NEP and I don't think their noisy at all. now, if EVERYTHING in the house is shut off I can hear them run if i'm near the tank. but what do you expect? they ARE a fan. I don't see how they can be 100% silent and still do their job.

I have the 48" Current... Have never considered the fans noisy. But both are located on the same end and would be easy to switch out if they bothered you.

Back