Current USA light for 36 gallon tank

1fastrock

Hello everyone. I am looking to set my 36 gallon bow front tank (30 W, 15 L, 21D) for a reef tank. I would like to probably do some beginner corals until I got the feel for this aspect of the hobby. I had seen the Current USA orbit Marine led that claims to put out 23 watts. I was just wondering if anyone had used this light before or if anyone had any recommendations for an affordable beginner light.

Thanks in advance for your help

In my opinion the current USA light at 23 watts would put out enough light to sustain corals and make you really happy. They may live but would not likely grow like you want....especially after you get hooked on corals and spend money on them expecting them to grow. Look at the Mars Aqua or Viparspectra lights on amazon. They put out 165 watts and would be plenty to grow corals. I would recommend reading the Mars Aqua thread in the lighting section as it is pretty much the bible on the low cost Chinese LED lighting. They run about $90-$125. I run one over my 29 and only have the blues at 50% and the whites at 20%. Anymore and the corals get too much light.

That light is vastly inferior and not suitable for corals...
I'm quite positive LandenReefer forgot "NOT" in their first sentence.. ;)
In general for shallow tanks/low light corals it can "work" but for the money there are far better choices..
And yes marsaqua/viparspectra,etc... any of those 165W "black box LEDs" on ebay/amazon intended for a reef are a far better choice..

A very rough approximation of wattage of LED needed is
L x W/18 x 3
So 30x15 = 450 /18 = 25 *3 = 75watts

^ This. These Current fixtures are tempting because of the product specs/description/claims, yet there are not sufficient for a reef aquarium.

A single "Black Box" fixture could be sufficient for a display of your size. There are many mid range branded fixtures which would be better options as well.

Back