Current USA Orbit Marine LED

BlindZide

Hey guys. I am purchasing equipment for 2 40 Breeders. I was wondering about this light fixture. I am going to run a Seahorse tank with Gorgonians, Mushrooms, Zoas, and Ricordea. No LPS or SPS in this tank.

My other tank will be a LPS dominated tank with some softies, Mushrooms, Zoas, and Ricordea. No SPS.

It has some pretty cool, but useless features ie storm mode and cloud cover. It does however have a ramp-up and ramp-down system for sunrise and sunset settings. Also has a coral acclimate setting too. I was looking as getting 2 of these in the 36-48" size. Wondering if there was anything else comparable for the price tag of $229. Ebay has them for $179 new but thats besides the point.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The lack of responses leads me to believe no one has used one yet. Might I be the first to try it or should I stick with my tried and true T5?

I have two of these, one on my 150g FOWLR and another in a reef which I am currently in the process of setting up (will be replaced later with a stronger light for SPS).

I think for you needs it is perfect. Its a well made light with 2 independent controls for blue and white. You can really get the actinic look if you so desire. I am using the 36" long ones. Have had them on since black friday with no complaints.

The extra features are nice to play with (storm, clouds, etc) but aside from the first week when I initially placed the lights on the tanks I haven't used them.

Also keep in mind they sit on top of the tank (well built/ water tight) with no hanging options.

Oh wow! Thanks for the post man! It kinda boosted my eagerness to get them now. I wanted to keep away from T5s due to heat transfer to my Seahorses.

Thanks a million!

I test them in my LFS. All i can say is they are good for FOWLR tank.
With your tanks, the seahorse tank will be fine. but i think you will need more light for LPS tank.

Why would you say no LPS under the light? My tank is only 17" deep and according to Current USA I should be able to keep SPS in upper section of the tank. I see you tested them at a LFS. How long was the test and did it show any growth at all? Slow growth, no growth, or receding.

Was hoping to come here and get the skinny on these ..
I am keeping shrooms ,zoa,a favia,some polyps and a few leathers/devil hands under T-5's ATM..Was considering switching to these for the heat reduction and bulb replacing ..

I have zoa, xenia, shrooms, mid range in my tank and sps at the very top with these lights. Everything has been alive for 3 months with no issues. Have had slight SPS and polyp growth.

Need to ask. Will the 24-36" work well in a 20g (24"L by 14" H) for zoas, mushrooms/yumas, most soft corals, and leathers too?

I'm using and older coralife PC unit (atleast 7 years old)... corals are doing ok, but I'm sure its time for something new.

Back