custom shallow cube

skenny

Im looking at starting a new tank im thinking a shallow cube 24"x24"x14"
with a external weir to maximise internal tank space ,tank measures at about 132L or 34 Gallons, ive got 2 3000LPH hydor copy power heads is this enough or would 2 5000L ones be better , i cant decide on a sand bed or starboard?

has anyone ever had or seen a tank this size?

and what would be the better lighting unit a single 150wMH or a 2 foot 4 bulb T5 light set up, what could i keep under each different set up?

also what size and how many bulkheads should i get in the weir was thinking 2 for durso and syphone but what about a third for return?

and whats peoples thoughts on having the back wall drilled for a bulkhead to easily drain the tank for water changes does anyone do this?

im still trying to design this set up so all heap and feedback is welcomed

I have a similar but smaller tank. It is custom built 20"X20"X9"

My tank is setup to be viewed from above so I went with a MH light so nothing is sitting on the rim. I originally had a 70w but upgraded to a 250 because the 70 wasn't sufficient for clams.

I went sand bottom becasue the clams look best against sand and I wanted to eliminate holes for my frogfish to hide in.

I bought my tank used. It is starphire glass which is a bit of a waste since you look over the glass. It came with three holes in the back glass and I added some glass pieces to build an overflow around 2 of the three holes. I’m using the third hole to return water from the sump. I’m now considering changing the return to come in over the rim and change the third hole into an emergency overflow drain.

Here’s what it looked like with the 70w light
tide1.jpg

And here is what it looks like with the 250w light
tpd.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

This tank is in the same room as a Red Sea Max and a Nanocube. It gets more attention and comments than the other tanks

Hey brent, I'm don't know to calculate the v, so can you tell me how many gal is your tank? Thanks
Look awesome btw

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12875563#post12875563 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xskyzx
Hey brent, I'm don't know to calculate the v, so can you tell me how many gal is your tank? Thanks
Look awesome btw

It is just 16 gallons but is hooked into an 82 gallon total system including the sump and other displays.

jcm2m9 - very nice tank

jcm2m9 that looks awsome do you have anymore pictures of it? and what about some specs on equipment used etc?

cheers shane

Back