Custom stand for 20l w/15g sump. Pic heavy

top shelf

As the title says this is my recently finished custom made stand for my 20l and 15g sump. A little backrground information. I am by no means a carpenter,cabinet builder, my wood working skills are sub-par, and tools were limited. However with its many flaws I am still very happy with the finished stand, plus the girlfriend likes it a lot so thats an added bonus. It took about a month from start to finish as I work in the natural gas industry so time is limited plus family duties always come first but at the end I managed to cobble together something that would support my tank. I was able to employ the help of my 3yr old son wherever I could and he was very excited to help dad and be a part of it and he enjoys fish as much as I do so I'm always eager to keep him excited

Onto the details, the stand is 41"h x 31"l x 15"w, it was built using 3 2x4's, 3 2x3's, a sheet of 1/4" oak plywood, and a sheet of 1/2" pine plywood. The reason for the choice of colors is simply it is what we both could agree on. I like a nice natural light finish and she likes the darker almost black stain which I am not a fan of so when it came time to finish it I put ocean colors into Google images and we picked from there. The final clear coat is a flate finish as I didn't want the stand to take away from the tank and be more noticeable and I feel as that a gloss clear coat would have stood out to much. Ok enough of my rambling and onto the pictures. Sorry for the low quality they were taken with my RAZR and for the first few I didn't realize how dirty the lense was.

I started with a pile of 2x4's and 2x3's and about a week later its all screwed together and taking shape.

Another week went by and got the 1/2" put on the top, bottom, and skinned in the 1/4.

Finished the doors at the same time.

Fast forward about another week or 2, missed a few inbetween but the stand is painted blue, the trim is painted green and put on.

The clear coat is finally on, the doors are hung, and handles put on.

The tanks fit perfectly, the stand looks great, and I couldn't be happier.

I know this was a very long post but thank you for taking the time to check it out and if you have any comments questions or feed back feel free to post it.

yeah updates....and good job on including your son. even if he does not remember it I am sure it in there some where...

Back