Custom Tank Sizes

TriggerHappyDude

I checked out Deep Sea Aquatics web site, nice stuff!
How can I get a few quotes on a few of the models?

The Neo 90 and 185 are nice, would like to know a price on those.
Also the Model 140 and 150.

I would like to see some real life pictures too, any links?

TriggerHappyDude

Do I need to call in to you all to get quotes, or can I send an email of what I want, and the manufactures I was wanting you all to get quotes from?

Fitchguy

Check out SP Aquatics! The guy who owns it, (Sean) also builds all the tanks himself. He has done some awesome work and is a great guy as well. He is in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

TriggerHappyDude

But then I'm looking at some big shipping charges...something I'm trying to avoid, oh unless the LFS can have it shipped and ordered through them?

TulsaReefer

Sounds like it's about time to make visits to some of the fine LFS in the OKC area. Much more fun than writing emails, and you'll get to meet many fine people in the process. And your liable to see something that interests you, as well as get some top notch advice and new ideas. Plus if your going to invest in a new system through the LFS, no reason to not start building the relationship now so you can select the shop you feel most comfortable with.

I never turn down a chance to hit the shops in every city I visit, and I travel with my job so I've been to quite a few. I've done Austin and part of Dallas in the past few months.

TriggerHappyDude

Yes, I've been to Aquariums and The Reef Shop here in OKC.
I need to go to the newly (downsized) Aquarium Concepts, and also Wet Pets in Norman...

Were there some others mentioned here on the thread located in OKC?

TulsaReefer

I haven't lived there in 10 years now, though I still get to visit quite a bit, so it's probably better to get advice from the local folks as to what is available in stores.

I will say that my tank, stand, and custom hood came many years ago (about 13 now) from the old Aquarium Concepts. And I used to live a couple miles from Aquariums, and spent many an hour in the store looking at all the goodies. Some of the corals I have today (10 years later) were from Aquariums. But it seems which LFS someone likes is a bit of a personal thing, each person has one they like for their own reasons. In the end, I think it's more about who you learn to trust and has a personality that fits for you. Good hunting!

TriggerHappyDude

I've read to avoid places where they have some live stock, some of which you might see a dead fish or two in some of the tanks, we'll I've seen there in all the stores...so I guess I need to start talking and see who I like the most!

TulsaReefer

Not to makes any excuses for anyone, but in the end, all stores will at some time have a fish expire and it may go a while before it's noticed. I look at it this way, when I go in a store, I have time to look a each tank and linger around, staring at it for as long as I like. Stores priority is to run as a business, i.e. provide service to the customers. And this is balanced with trying to keep overhead down and run with as few people as possible, and that doesn't always give time to keep an eye on every tank every minute of the day. So if I see a dead one, I try to cut a little slack (and usually discretely let them know about it as well, 99.99% of the time they appreciate it).

Now if there is a fuzzy, couple day old dead one in there, or multiple fuzzy couple day old ones, you kinda have to wonder...

TriggerHappyDude

Yeah, I get the point, I'm pretty easy going. I didn't hold it against them, it was two of the most popular OKC stores anyway!

So someone out there know all the Central OK stores we have?

1. Aquariums (Edmond)
2. Reef Warehouse (I-40/Reno)
3. Aquarium Concepts (50th/Mac)
4. Wet Pets (Norman)
5. Joesettes Pets (Does this one count?)

What others in OKC?

TulsaReefer

I've visited a couple nice shops here, some close before I get out of work on an average day. Can't remember off hand the names, I'd have to look them up again. There is also a reef club here, probably should ask some of those guys who they like, I'm just visiting, they are really buying.

If you like Tunze equipment, Roger Vitko is the USA distributor and is here in Austin, I stopped in and got some replacement parts once for an old skimmer, really nice guy and a real deal if you have their equipment, any problems and Roger can help you out right away.

And can't forget Austin Aqua Farms is here too. Haven't been there yet, but just looking online and I know I had better stay away or I could get in some real trouble there.

mskohl

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12221266#post12221266 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ChrisMc73
Yeah, I get the point, I'm pretty easy going. I didn't hold it against them, it was two of the most popular OKC stores anyway!

So someone out there know all the Central OK stores we have?

1. Aquariums (Edmond)
2. Reef Warehouse (I-40/Reno)
3. Aquarium Concepts (50th/Mac)
4. Wet Pets (Norman)
5. Joesettes Pets (Does this one count?)

What others in OKC?

For me, it was a matter of personality and convenience. If one store has what you want most of the time, you end up trying to find what you need there first. Also, you want to trust advice and sales ethics of that store.

I got my start in the hobby with Reef Warehouse. I really got along well with Erika and Janet there. They generally have several fish in stock and some decent soft and lps corals.

When we moved futher north I decided to try out Aquariums and I ended up going there most of the time. I get along well with Leigh Anne and trust her knowledge. Plus, they have expanded their coral selection and you can always find something colorful.

Wet Pets is a really nice store. It's probably the biggest and he usually has a nice selection of fish. I wish I could tell you more, but I have only made it down to Norman just a few times.

I haven't been to Aquarium concepts since the ownership change.

As for Joesettes Pets and PetCo, I really try to avoid buying my fish from places that cater to other animals. It's mostly just about the store's/employee's level of knowledge of saltwater. I was in Joesettes a few years back (before I found RC) and the employee there tried to sell me all kinds of stuff I didn't need or want.

The only one that seems to be missing from your list is Zoanuts. This is a company that was started by a member of COMAS, Dustin Combs. He runs mostly an online business, but he sells to locals out of his home. He gets some really amazing corals and can special order fish, but doesn't routinely keep them. (Dustin, sorry if I have any of this wrong :) )

Otherwise, you should also check out a couple of the Tulsa stores:
Aquarium Oddballs and Premier Aquatics.

Reef Warehouse, Aquariums, Zoanuts, and Oddballs are COMAS sponsors. They go above and beyond in helping us educate members. These stores have donated many door prizes and offer a 10% discount on livestock purchases (if you show your card).