customs stuff for moving corals back to states

sandiegan

Sorry to bother all you, especially the ones in service. I have a quick question regarding transporting corals from Japan to the states via standard civilian flights. I'm going to Yokohama for vacation and was wondering if it was at all possible to buy something there and bring it back. If anyone knows, or can point me in the right direction I'd much appreciate it, thanks.

From what I read, you won't be taking anything back with you.
I take that back. I have mailed rock before, never a problem, but as for actual coral, you wont make it very far.

Its not the American customs, its the Japaneese side of the house which is the problem. I read this in the propagation section about 6 months ago or so...there was solid information reguarding it all...

-Frank

How I found the information over there, people were searching around on how to ship things from Japan...exactly what you are wanting to do.

I mailed the rock through the USPS. THey kinda looked at me weird, but I just said...yup. Its rock. :lol:

Did you have to pay for postage on this one or was it part of a move? How much does rock run over there?

And I couldn't find the thread talking about importing from Japan. I found one about the Philippines though.

I paid for postage, it went through USPS and through customs, everything was 100% legal. A live coral, with water to keep it alive and everything that would go along with it, id be real scary about doing. Shipping LR, through a japaneese carrier would cost you a few $$ I would imagine, especially if you wanted any sort of decent amounts.

How much does rock cost...Ive got about $65 in snorkel gear if that says anything....though it took a little turn for the worse while it sat over the 'cold' months...so im gonna have to get some new stuff here shortly... :lol:

How much is it if I go down to the LFS and buy it, its expensive. Real expensive when compared to the US prices actually.

Back