Cutting a BIG hole in my foundation

RobTop

Since my 220 is down I have 3 options I am looking into. Fixing the 220, building a tank BIG on site, or cutting out a window I can bring an even BIGGER tank into the basement through.
The "window" would be adding a fire escape window to the basement, that of course would be BIG. The concept is simple. Dig out the ground away from the side of my house, cut out the window from the foundation, install the steel frame and window. I could do the work, BUT...
This is the foundation of my home we are talking about, I want to pay a company who has insureance to do this.
Any leads?

did you check with the village code yet?

instead of doing that. why not have someone cutom build you a tank inside your house. would it be cheaper this way than messing with your foundation and worry about some water leaks/flooding on a later date? just a suggestion.

Re: Cutting a BIG hole in my foundation

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9880144#post9880144 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RobTop
Since my 220 is down I have 3 options I am looking into. Fixing the 220, building a tank BIG on site, or cutting out a window I can bring an even BIGGER tank into the basement through.
The "window" would be adding a fire escape window to the basement, that of course would be BIG. The concept is simple. Dig out the ground away from the side of my house, cut out the window from the foundation, install the steel frame and window. I could do the work, BUT...
This is the foundation of my home we are talking about, I want to pay a company who has insureance to do this.
Any leads?

You're a lunatic! I love it!

i personally would not mess with the foundation at all. i would have one custom made in your house, but now the question is can you fit the pieces of glass/acrylic into your house another way??? and ya you are a lunatic!!! thats probably the craziest thing i've read on this board!! but i agree with madam, thats awesome!!! this hobby is crazy, it makes people destroy a perfectly good foundation for a bigger tank!!! :):)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9880690#post9880690 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jski711
i personally would not mess with the foundation at all. i would have one custom made in your house, but now the question is can you fit the pieces of glass/acrylic into your house another way??? and ya you are a lunatic!!! thats probably the craziest thing i've read on this board!! but i agree with madam, thats awesome!!! this hobby is crazy, it makes people destroy a perfectly good foundation for a bigger tank!!! :):)

shakeyjake, with a little ingenuity we could probably get a 500gal tank up in your condo..... think the wife would go for it? If she says anything just tell her it was always there.....

Put glass door on the stairs to the basement, leave hose running, fill basement, add salt. Gotta beat cutting the foundation. LOL

Bryan89 did this exact thing to get his 400gal tank in. Probably where Rob got his idea, or did I mention it when we were picking up after his disaster. You all know you would do the exact same thing if you could get away w/ it. If he cuts out a window he could take the tank w/ him if he ever wanted to move. PM Bryan he did it himself, but he might be able to steer you in the right direction.

This actually is not as crazy as some think. As Benjie said one of our Rockford folk did it already, I could take the tank with if the wife ever wants to move, and the best part, THE WIFE THINKS IT IS A GOOD IDEA, since she will have a fire escape window when it it done.

It's not that big a deal, structurally, just don't make it too wide. A lot of mess though. An escape window in the basement is a great plus.

Window Wells for Aquariums

Window Wells for Aquariums

In answer to Rob's question, I put in a window to move my tank into my house. I used a local Rockford concrete contractor to do the work. I put in a 4' x 4' window with a 6' wide and 5' deep window well in my basement to get my 400 gallon acrylic tank in. Rob, I will PM you details. One thing I will say about the project is that you really need someone who knows what they are doing as it is not an easy thing to do and retain the structure of an existing house. As to the question of if it is safe, cutouts in basements are done all the time during the construction of homes. Very few people do so after a home is already built. :)

You 'could' do it yourself, but I'd recommend a professional.

Also, make sure you get someone who will drill out the openning vice cutting it with a saw. It is far less messy that way but takes a little longer.

Last thing, make sure you measure very well. My 400 cleared by about 1/16" of an inch in height.

Bryan

Last edited:
Got the PM, thanks.
Looks like it would be too much cash, but we will see what the wifey thinks. Just one of my three options. The window would cost more than the materials to build a 72x30x48" tank. Yeah baby 48" wide tank. That would be very cool. Like i said though, still waighing the options.

Rob,
We are currently getting quotes for something similar, a walk-out basement. Depending on where the new window will be located may change things.

You need to account for the frost line with concrete at least 42" below the ground. So if you are talking about moving dirt to cut the hole, they may need to underpin a section below the window.

Brian--can you PM me info about the contractors you used?
thanks
Dave

Back