CuzzA's 125 Gallon Full Cylinder Glass Office Build

CuzzA

So, before I even have had a chance to really start my 300 gallon upgrade I was given the opportunity to build a system for my father-in-law's pediatric medical center here in Palm Harbor.

They currently have a large hexagon aquarium with a center overflow. This system is 22 years old and quite unsightly. It's currently suffering from a large outbreak of Cyanobacteria that is blanketing everything. The only filtration this system has is biological; Rock, a crushed coral substrate and loose bio filter media in the sump. Needless to say, it's time for an upgrade.

I will post pictures and document this build here. The plan is, as I stated in the title, a 125 gallon full cylinder glass tank. The dimensions are 32" in diameter by 36" tall. It will have a black center overflow with three bulkheads. One for the durso drain, return pipe and electrical wires. It will sit on a furniture grade golden oak stand and canopy. The tank is being crated today and should ship tomorrow or Monday with a delivery later next week.

Lighting, Filtration and Equipment:

The lighting will consist of 2x 16" Chinese dimmable LED's on a timer. The sump has yet to be determined as I want to personally view the space available inside the stand, including the dimensions I'll be working with in terms of the cabinet door. Nevertheless, the sump will be pretty basic with a simple bubble trap. I'll be running a Reef Octopus NWB 200 Int skimmer with a skimmate container, a 250 watt Eheim Jäger Heater and a DC12000 return pump. I'll build a manifold off the return pump for separate carbon and gfo reactors. I will add a gravity fed ATO on a Eshopps float valve. This tank is serviced every two weeks by a commercial aquarium maintenance company so I just need a reservoir large enough to supply water between visits. I will also add 1x or 2x RW-15's for flow. This may seem like excessive flow, but due to the 36" depth of the tank I think it will be necessary to keep Cyanobacteria at bay.

Tank Theme and Inhabitants:

Their medical center was recently remodeled and in doing so they had an artist come in and paint a marine aquatic theme throughout the lobby where the tank will be. Being that this tank is primarily designed for the children, naturally it will have a Finding Nemo theme. We haven't decided on a stocking list, but for sure it will include most of the cast from the Disney movie. So far I'm suggesting a Clownfish, Blue Hippo Tang, Yellow Tang, Royal Gramma, Flame Angel and possibly a few Chromis'. I won't be adding a Moorish Idol due to their dismal survival rate in captivity and I'll have to do more research on the possibility of a puffer. Perhaps a Valentini, but I don't know yet.

Invertebrates will consist of Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Blood Shrimp and various hermit crabs, emerald crabs and snails. We will likely add some resilient soft corals as well. Zoa, Nepthea, Xenia, Mushrooms, Sympodium, etc. Maybe we'll add a couple hardy LPS corals as well, but I certainly will not put anything in the tank that will seal its fate.

So for now, I don't have much more to share. Everything will get rolling next week including the breakdown of the current tank. I'll likely have a few fish posted for sale and a nice large custom hexagon. ;)

Here is a few stock photos of the tank to give you an idea of what it looks like. As you can see the area in the stand will be a challenge. I believe I'm working with 22" L x 18" W x 28" H. I'm going to have to get creative.

28cbd99aabccd9fb01bdf51292530cbc_zps3d0ef7fd.jpg

41f4be66269aa7dad150d9a43696c79c_zps8962b821.jpg

7e60a83cc45706273d4261ccd0d84cfb_zpsb9d35999.jpg

aa46fe5dc6eef6b632edbd7d1d993b5c_zps7eddd964.jpg

That looks like a cool project, who manufactures those tanks? I'm not sure I've ever seen one in glass.

The tank and stand are built by Aqua Vim. It's an American company out of New York that partially owns the manufacturing facility in China where the actual glass bending and carpentry is produced. My conversation with the owner and reviews I've read left me feeling confident in the product. They are not cheap by any means and of course we know skilled labor is not cheap either.

Unfortunately no. The tank is in the center of the lobby, viewable from all sides. I'm going to have to use the 28" height for space. I'll probably mount reactors and have the ATO reservoir and skimmate locker actually sit on the sump. Fortunately both ends of the cabinet open, so access should be pretty good.

Wow tight space for sure I guess you have to trade that for the stability of a cylinder tank. What about a cabinet of some kind beside it? Very cool.

These tanks and stands were actually engineered in Germany so my guess is you are right Irish, the design has something to do with stability. I believe there is steel reenforcement throughout the stand as well.

A box on the outside won't fly. A) It would take away from the setup aesthetically and B) The kids would likely beat it to hell. I'll make it work. 22x18 isn't terrible. I just have to be conscience of how everything is being setup and most definitely find nice locks for the cabinet doors. ;)

FOWLR bro, the kids don't care about corals and it adds a ton of work/equipment/stress.

I am pitching a lobby tank to pops too, energy usage and maintenance were his first questions lol.

Either way I am sure it will look great.

FOWLR bro, the kids don't care about corals and it adds a ton of work/equipment/stress.

I am pitching a lobby tank to pops too, energy usage and maintenance were his first questions lol.

Either way I am sure it will look great.

I'm with you, but my father in law has caught the reefer bug a little bit from being over my house. Like I said, the corals will likely be ones you couldn't kill if you tried. I probably won't put any hard corals in or maybe just "one" torch since I've oversized the skimmer and the maintenance company does perform water changes every two weeks which should keep up with calcium and alkalinity consumption.

I even considered a coral insert, but I would imagine the maintenance to keep them free of algae, especially coralline, would be ridiculous.

I'm with you, but my father in law has caught the reefer bug a little bit from being over my house. Like I said, the corals will likely be ones you couldn't kill if you tried. I probably won't put any hard corals in or maybe just "one" torch since I've oversized the skimmer and the maintenance company does perform water changes every two weeks which should keep up with calcium and alkalinity consumption.

I even considered a coral insert, but I would imagine the maintenance to keep them free of algae, especially coralline, would be ridiculous.

You could do some encrusting gorgonians, easy palys and zoas, kenya trees, leathers, and have a nice tank without much maintenance at all.

Very cool set up. You have your work cut out for you. Pulsing xenias would be one of the corals as they are good at filtering the water and kids love to see them pulsing. Do you have a fish list

Lol. Sounds like a good plan to me, kinda did the same thing w my wifes (really mine) tank in the bedroom. Couple rics. couple zoas, bright green leather, decent xenia and a big chunk of dragons breath macro in there, I must say it looks damn good. Easy to keep and just as enjoyable.

Good luck man, tagging along.

I am installing a new lifereef filtration system in my office. Give Jeff a call. He can design a sump for you that will work. His stuff is amazing.

Well the company discovered a crack in the one tank they had in stock when they started crating the tank. Another tank will be shipped March 11th. So stay tuned. I was a little bummed to hear that as I can't wait to see this glass cylinder.

Snapfish has the nicest coral insert I have ever seen in person I think would fit that tank.

I know that some fish only services use a peroxide solution for algae control on large exhibits with inserts to keep them clean and reduce maintenance. Francis, formerly from Living Color introduced me to it. We are strictly reef and have only dabbled with it at low doses as an oxidizer.

Alright, alright, alright!!!

Tank is in its resting place. I spent the better part of the day breaking down the Oceanic Hexagon which is now for sale. I'll probably clean up the stand, maybe some nicer trim and restain or paint it. The tank is in remarkably great shape. I couldn't find a single scratch.

However, whoever set up this tank left a lot to be desired. As I mentioned the tank was suffering from a massive cyano outbreak. And if you have a look at these pics you'll see why.

Here's the setup, minus the canopy.
DC052B96-0F18-4008-9BA6-B4343AC35B0A_zpskoovruhn.jpg

The sump. The paper towel and scotch tape is a nice touch.
98C4698D-C783-46BF-8BA3-A523CE870308_zpsjthx5hc3.jpg

Hmm. I wouldn't call that a drip loop. And by the looks of the salt creep hanging from the wire, which is clearly coming from the electrical standpipe bulkhead, I'd say we have a potential fire hazard.
60356186-DF4A-4CE3-9AD5-DEA5A7CBCE6F_zpsse85pmmg.jpg

Yep. Wire nuts and electrical tape are not the proper way to splice utility power.
CAD5B2A4-A8EC-4B6F-99C4-7C6C41538217_zpssmlxxryg.jpg

Ah yes, the proverbial air pump for in tank bubbles. However this air pump was sitting on top of the sump. Can you say holy salt creep batman?
46317166-83C5-4A49-9F85-FA486BC532A8_zpsmcrtwul7.jpg

473A239E-26D9-469F-9BF6-CFD4FC9BD209_zpsqhoxztiw.jpg

I've never heard of rubberband filtration. (I'm guessing that's what it is. I wasn't going to go digging through it to find out for sure.) But that looks like a big fat nitrate producer to me.
E0664CEA-0376-4738-A838-5E69C0C01139_zpsnsdaxtue.jpg

I can't fault the office one bit. The tank has been there for a long time and they have a maintenance company take care of it. Their only task was to simply feed the fish. I'll probably make up a laminated to do list for the office staff. Mostly just to check on things everyday to insure all system are good.

But have no fear! They now have one hell of an amazing glass cylinder tank! My work really has just begun. Next up is a custom sump and we'll begin to bring this new reef to life.
2877F71C-ABE3-4B8D-B59C-E27D2B922119_zps1x3fm331.jpg

Stay tuned. :)

Back