cyano bactiria kills my huge birdsnest coral... this means war...

Vince272992

hi a couple days ago i saw that my 1 year old very big ORA green birdsnest coral was starting to bleach for no reason, after checking paraments of tank, temp, and everything else, everything was good so i picked up the rock that it was on and saw on the back side of the coral where i could not see in the place it was in was some red slime growing up the back side, the next morning 80% of the coral was dead so i fragged of the remaining alive parts and but them on a frag rack, so after my favorite coral being demolished i need to do something about this NOW.

the thing is i cant see any more cyano in the tank exept on the bridsnest skeloton, so i was wondering how do you get rid of the killer.
THANKS

are yoiu sure the cyano killed the coral, or was it just growing over a dying coral? I have a few patches of cyano and it grows right up to some corals, but not onto them. In my tank anyways.

AFAIK, cyano will grow on coral only once that part of the coral is dead. IMO, something else happened to your birdsnest, and cyano was just post event.

Anyhow, aside from the usual "flow/light/nutrient" advice, chemiclean seem to work very well against cyano.

AFAIK, cyano will grow on coral only once that part of the coral is dead. IMO, something else happened to your birdsnest, and cyano was just post event.

Anyhow, aside from the usual "flow/light/nutrient" advice, chemiclean seem to work very well against cyano.

I agree

Corals don't bleach "for no reason", and cyanobacteria typically won't grow in any quantity in a healthy system, nor will it grow on a healthy coral. So, there's something not right with your set-up and/or water quality.

Back