cyano want to nip it in the butt

coopdogyo

I currently have cyano in two parts of my aquarium. It is currently not to far along it has only been around a few days. I run carbon and phosphate remover. I run a reef devil that I can't seem to get dialed in.There are currently no fish in the tank only snails. I have two K3's and a Quite one 3000 which runs at about 600 gph. I also have a good number of pineapple sponges in my overflow. I have 8 39 watt t5 lights over the aquarium. My numbers are fine but that is because the cyano is taking up all the nitrates. I do use ro water and there is a tds of 2-3. I am guessing my problem is the skimmer but are there any other ideas?
dsc0037y.th.jpg

dsc0040s.th.jpg

dsc0038r.th.jpg

Oh yeah I do have a good amount of green hair algae on my overflow and have to use my mag float to clean the glass every day. I have 60 pounds live rock and have had no problems with that there is nice coraline everywhere. The tank is 72 gallons.

Chemi clean!

Works every time for me. but, It made all my mini brittle/serp stars come to the surface of the sand, they also came out all over the rocks, like millions of them, I had no idea I had as many as I did.

after I did the waterchange they all go back into the rocks or killed over..

how long has it been set up and which size tank is it, your going to get some algea bloom on a new tank,i say give it some time

oki have a220 gal i have done lights for three days and do water change weeky and the cyano keeps coming back my numbers are good all so what i would like to know is what i'am doing wrong after 4 years of salt water the last year or so i cant get rid of it

There has been documentation that cyno actually produces food for itself. Turning lights off probably won't do anything. The only thing that works is treating the tank with Red Slime Remover or Chemi Clean.

It sounds like your tank is still new. Do you have plenty of flow in your tank? Dead spots can help cyno grow. Also I think the lights out trick can work if you go for 5 days. I kill my lights one day a week for sure and sometimes a half day three days later. Remember it's not always sunny in the ocean.

Back