cycle question

aleok

Hi All,
I started a new tank and I'm doing a fishless cycle with Ace hardware ammonia. Initially I used a old bottle that barely registered any level after adding, so i bought and new bottle and then used that. I think i over dosed to about 7-8ppm. that was a 12 days ago. Now the ammonia is at .5ppm, nitite 0, and nitrate 10-20ppm.
I've been testing ALMOST everyday, the ammonia is going down, I never saw a nitrite spike, and the nitrate isn't high enough for me to think the cycle is complete. any advice?

I'm also going out of town in a week and will be gone for 3 weeks, what should I do to keep the tank alive? I'm not ready to transfer fish yet

A guess is that your nitrite may have already spiked. I'd say just stand back and let the cycle complete without further intervention; it may be a good thing to be away from it for three weeks, assuming you have a top-off process and someone to check-in for any leaks or disasters. It may be ready for a water change to deal with the nitrate by the time you come back.

Agreed. Since you already have a nitrate reading, I’d just let the ammonia run down during the 3 weeks you’re gone and you should be good

Thanks for the advice. Is it ok to leave the tank that long without feeding the bacteria and the nitrate levels so high?
I was thinking the cycle would be done in a week, I'd do a 90% water change and then just maybe set up a auto fish feeder to drop a flake or 2 every day.

Agreed. Since you already have a nitrate reading, I’d just let the ammonia run down during the 3 weeks you’re gone and you should be good

Thanks for the advice. Is it ok to leave the tank that long without feeding the bacteria and the nitrate levels so high?
I was thinking the cycle would be done in a week, I'd do a 90% water change and then just maybe set up a auto fish feeder to drop a flake or 2 every day.

If it were my tank, I'd really just leave it alone, not even adding the fish flakes. I'd also try doing maybe 35 percent or so water changes about once a week and watch the conditions as they slowly stabilize, which they surely will as you're being very attentive to the quality of your tank. Good luck! .

If it were my tank, I'd really just leave it alone, not even adding the fish flakes. I'd also try doing maybe 35 percent or so water changes about once a week and watch the conditions as they slowly stabilize, which they surely will as you're being very attentive to the quality of your tank. Good luck! .

I agree with this. Just let things go while you're away

Thanks for the replies. Right now the ammonia is zero and nitrate is 20ppm. I have a few days before my trip, so I'll bring up the ammonia to 1-2ppm and see if it'll bring it to 0 in 24hours, then I'll do a 35% water change and leave it alone for 3 weeks. Hopefully all goes well. thanks

Back