cyno in refugium

Bugsy_Barboza

Had a small area of cyno on my sand bed. I was feeding twice a day, cut down to once a day and no algae anyway in tank... But my refugium now has some cyno in it? I have Fiji miracle mud, chaeto, and 2 mangroves in there. Run my light 24hrs a day. What could be causing this?

I'm kinda surprised this doesn't happen a lot more. We always hear flow, light, phosphates, for cyano; so a fuge seems like a really great place to grow it with the water slowing down (relative to the dt) so crud can settle out and the grow light running.

I've heard running opposite night / day schedules for the fuge and the dt can help stabilize ph too. For flow I think the water is supposed to be moving around enough to "tumble" your chaeto, so if it's just hanging there it's too slow.

Cyano doesn't need much in the way of nutrients to grow. I routinely have some small patches in my refugium and just don't worry about it. If you plan to worry, then just up the flow as others have suggested.

i had this problem till i put a small power head in my sump, middle compartment where the chaeto is. problem solved.

Back