cynobacteria nightmare

I've had tank empty of fish for 3 weeks now as I am quarantining and attempting to irradicate ich. I target feed a few corals during this period.

Skimmate is now a slow dry and black like it is bacterial. Cyano and red mat algae is slowly dying back over three weeks and copepods are every where with free grazing and without predation.

I'll limit myself to fewer fish that also graze in future.

My brother actually discovered that a local hermit crab by us on long island eats cyano like it is its last meal. we now both keep some, and so far havent bothered any corals, fish or invertabrates that we have seen.

Could you take a picture of this crab and post it here so that everyone can benefit from your discovery?

Good thread since I have in the last month been fighting a bad outbreak of the algae that looks like red cotton candy called Asparagopsis taxiformis. I have since replaced my MH bulbs that were 10months old and installed new ones. I am using the screen method of new lamp acclimation and so far the taxiformis algae is now turning into red cyano. I don't know if it's the acclimation or the new lamps so I will find out within 2 weeks what happens. So far I am going to do 20% weekly water changes and using salt mix instead of NSW and I will be replacing my carbon at 1-2 week intervals and GFO every 3 weeks. My system is mostly sps with few fishes and my Hanna meter is reading at .02 phosphate levels. I've tried snails,rabbitfish with no help with the Asparagopsis Taxiformis.

so does PRODIBIO works ?

Hi chercm :) ,

I ve been dealing with the same problem as you are , had no NO3 or PO4 still
having lots of GHA.
then 3 month`s ago i started using bio pellts with great results in combating the GHA , but as the GHA was dying cyano covered the GHA.
At start (biopellets) i stopped dosing prodibio , after 1.5 month`s the GHA was almost away but cyano was less but still there.

I then dosed again prodibio digest every 2 weeks 1 ampul , to keep the right bacterial strings in the system as cyano`s are to bacteria.
With very good results , cyano has died too :)
Leaving me with very clean (and where algea was very white) rocks no algea , great PE and coloration of the corals and very clear water (pristine).
So i`m gonna stick to this regime :D.

Have to say that you need a strong skimmer because you will be making alot of dark thick stuff in there , and some patience it took me almost 3 month from alot algea to non .

greetingzz tntneon :)

Back