Damsel ID

Grouperhead

fish097bm4.jpg

Anyone got a positive ID on this guy? Some kind of gregory (I think) just not sure which one. About 1.5" and very tough. TIA

It is in the genus Stagastes, though I'm not 100% sure which one. It may be S. variabilis, though a very dull individual. It has the correct color pattern, including the two black spots, one on the dorsal the other on the top of the base of the tail. It also has the blue/yellow color pattern, but on the ones I have seen it si usually much brighter. The name is variabilis which means variable so that is my guess.

+1 on Stegastes variabilis, the cocoa damsel. The ones I remember collecting in Florida had much deeper blue, but there are regional color differences in fish from other regions, including a gray/blue form.
The other possibility is Stegastes imbricatus - some of those are coming in from West Africa, and they are a sister species to S. variabilis.

Jay

Thanks for the help guys. The blue has gotten a bit deeper in recent days - that pic was taken shortly after introduction. It and a lemon damsel fought like I've never seen fish fight before, but now they're cool with each other.

Back