Dark Colored Griffis Angel

invincible569

I have seen several of the Griffis Angels in this dark coloration in Japanese tanks, but wondering if this is a different version of the Griffis that some retailers are offering in the states?

dsc0044qd9.jpg

Wow thats an expensive group of fish there. Tinkers butterfly $399, Declivis butterfly, $245.00, Conspicillatus Angel $1400+, griffs angel $499.00. I never seen a dark morph of a griffs angel, my old LFS before it closed down use to be able to get griffs angels all the time but never a dark morph. Maybe a different collection point?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9841831#post9841831 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DeltecRules
Wow thats an expensive group of fish there.

Yeah, no joke. I bet that's an interruptus in front of the griffith's too...

SDGuy, its not. Its a potters.

DeltecRules, Im not sure either. I have seen this color morph pop up several times and it looks really nice compared to the scaly gray color. Let me ask the LiveAquaria forum since they always get these types of fish in and maybe they have seen one like it. I was also thinking it was lighting.. but I have seen different angles and its definitely darker.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9842944#post9842944 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by invincible569
SDGuy, its not. Its a potters.

Slumming it, eh? :D

My guess is:

1. It is the sub adult colors. Based on the sizes Potters and B'Flies I would say it is still a sub-adult.

2. It is a color morph.

3. The fish may be stressed and the grey area is darker than normal.

I am leaning toward the 1st guess since these fish rarely come in smaller than 5"-6" and I am guessing that one is only a couple of inches long.

Is this the only pic that you have of these fish? Any japanese site links that might have pics?

small sizes are darker then the big ugly ones. lol my guess is juvi coloring and it will get lighter as they age

Tanaka, thats the first personifer I have seen for sale. Very cool!

I like the flame angel too. I have seen one like it at someone else's tank.

Either that is a massive tank or the smallest Conspic. I have ever seen.
Anyway, I am now almost certain that is a sub-adult Griffis. The grey is just starting to come in and will probably lighten up over time.
Who's tank is this?

trigger, that does look similiar... can you buy it and see how it looks in your tank? I also tried looking around to see who's Japanese tank that was. Couldnt trace it back.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9864626#post9864626 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by invincible569
trigger, that does look similiar... can you buy it and see how it looks in your tank? I also tried looking around to see who's Japanese tank that was. Couldnt trace it back.

:lol:
Not a big fan of the Griffis Angels, I would prefer a nice Bandit that eats instead.
If this is the color then the whole sub-adult theory goes out the window. Maybe it is just lighting.
The funny thing is I saw your thread on LA's section and they didn't mention anything about having one of these avail. anytime soon and they supposedly QT their divers den fish for a few weeks. I am guessing it is this color due to the lighting or it's mood.

You could tell from the body shape of the Tinker's and declivis that those are all small fish... The color in my opinion is the standard color for a Griffis... it just looks darker from the lighting. It looks like no flash was used and the lighting is from the back, so the shading on the fish shows up darker...

I've seen many Griffis with all the same color... a goldflake/griffis hybrid did go through Hawaii a few months ago... now that's a cool fish! Too bad my "small conspic" is 6 inches (small for the US market!) ! It's all relative...

Back