DAS skimmer club

One problem that I am having is that my skimmer output is noisy with air bubbles coming out. I don't have a pic of it, but basically i have an elbow pointing down, and piping that goes 2-3 inches below the water line. Does anyone have a solution for this?

I got DAS EX-1 skimmer and I put in bath with vingaer. I finding that have a little leak on the bottom of chamber and the base.

I wonder if can put a seam of weld-on 16 on the chamber and the base?

its not really bad leak but maybe lose about 1/8 cup per 3 hours. I wrapped with the towel for tempoary and get the feedback from you that Weld-on 16 will do the job.

hyolee,

I angled the outflow of the skimmer so that it outlets 1/4" above the water. I don't have the gurgling problem that way.

I was thinking about that too, whether to submerge the outlet or just barely above the water line. However, don't you get water splashing sounds instead of gurgling sounds or is yours pretty silent? Just to clarify, my gurgling sound isn't too bad. I'm sure it would be drowned out by all the other sounds (skimmer pumps, circulation pumps, etc.), but I'm trying to isolate and eliminate / reduce every single source of sound in my system.

I've gone through the DAS thread and here are some of the approaches I've seen. Maybe some of you can chime in about your experiences in trying to quiet the outlet.

1. outlet submerged below water line
2. outlet barely above water line
3. put a PVC cap on the vertical piping
4. put some vinyl tubing in the vertical piping
5. put a gate valve on outlet

Thanks.

I have another element in my tank in which I put a cap over the vertical pipe and drilled a small hole to alleviate the gurgling.

My system isn't 100% silent but it is by no means loud. Might take a look at trying that first and see what you think.

Is there a new line of DAS skimmers coming soon? I heard that they will have the laguna pump on them, is this true? is there a offical DAS web-site? the Pet-O-Rama has little to no information, thanks in advance

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13131296#post13131296 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reef2
do u guys think my ex2 will keep up with a 240g with 100g sump?

Nope! EX3 would be a much better suit

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13243373#post13243373 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by moondoggy4
Is there a new line of DAS skimmers coming soon? I heard that they will have the laguna pump on them, is this true? is there a offical DAS web-site? the Pet-O-Rama has little to no information, thanks in advance

Where did you hear this? I'm just curious, since I picked up an EX-3 recently and it would really suck if this were coming out soon. I wouldn't bother with Pet-O-Rama since their custom service totally sucks but their skimmers rock.

I'm getting ready to gravity feed my EX-2. I've noticed 2 different ways to set this up. Overflow to a T. The branch goes to the skimmer the bottom goes through a ball valve to the sump. Version 2 - Overflow to a T. The branch goes to the sump bottom goes to ball valve and then into the skimmer. Which one do you choose and why? Does it matter? If you do version 2 why would you use a ball valve and then the valve on the skimmer?

Thanks

I did version two with a twist. Instead of a ball valve I have a gate valve for better control on the flow to the skimmer. I also wanted to have the flow to the skimmer first and what I don't use goes out the branch to the sump unrestricted.

If you do version one and you get any surges of water with ball valves restricting water on both paths the water would back up to the tank.

I don't know if I'm doing it the right way, but it seemed logical to me.

The bottom of the T should go to the skimmer and if that backs up then the water will go out of the side of the T into the sump.

Re: Gravity fed

Re: Gravity fed

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13372491#post13372491 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by osu86
Thanks for the reply. Can you show a pic of your set up?

Thanks

My sump is in the basement and I have two overflows coming from the tank and one return going back. In this first picture the skimmer is not yet hooked up but it shows the two overflows coming down. The one on the left goes to the refugium and the sump and the one on the right goes to the skimmer and the sump.

Reef%20Tank-120G_DSC03704w_Sump_Plumbing_080509.JPG

My skimmer is sitting on a stand just above the water line in the sump and is connected to the gate valve just out of sight on the right via the flex PVC. The flex PVC drops out of sight under the lip of the sump goes behind the skimmer and attaches on the left side where you can see I have the skimmer's ball valve completely open and adjust the water level in the skimmer with the gate valve. I hope this helps.

Reef%20Tank-120G_DSC04108w_Sump_080713.JPG

Bud you got yourself a real nice looking sump room. Good work.

Do any of you guys have trouble with the O-Ring in the collection cup? Mine is really annoying b/c it won't stay on and then it broke about a week ago.

My O-ring for the cup is fine. I have problems with the rings in the pumps. Both have leaked on me. I'd like to get some to keep on hand, but no luck with Orca or Petorama. Any ideas where to get them? No luck with local pet shop either.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13376491#post13376491 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by md fishes
Bud you got yourself a real nice looking sump room. Good work.

Do any of you guys have trouble with the O-Ring in the collection cup? Mine is really annoying b/c it won't stay on and then it broke about a week ago.

Thanks! I have had no problems with the collection cup o-rings on either my EX-1 or EX-2, but just like osu86 my pump o-rings have leaked on both. I've just taken them apart, cleaned them and put the old ones back in and it stops. DarG bought some collection cup o-rings and had extras that he would share just for the cost of shipping them. Send him a PM to see if he still has them. He has made the offer previusly in this thread.

yea the stock o ring is a pos. get with darG he has replacements that work great. i had mine 6 months now and no leaks nothing. every once in a while i put a bit of silicone grease on it.

Thanks for the recommendation. Pet-O-Rama is supposed to send me a new one but I'd rather have an O-Ring that isn't such a headache.

Back